Supermicro X10SRH-CF

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

TXAG26

Aug 2, 2016
I'm going to try it with the HS it came with and add a fan if needed before spending more for a different HS solution. I have a E5-2680 v4 that I cannot get above 42c with a NH-U12DX i4 running Folding@Home full blast.

zer0sum

Mar 8, 2013
I've had both Noctua and SM narrow ILM coolers, and have been happy with both.
But I can't ever really fault the SM one and it's way cheaper, so that's all I use now :)

I found a 2680v4 for under $300 so we'll see how it goes soon

Last edited:

Spartacus

May 27, 2019
Austin, TX
I've had both Noctua and SM narrow ILM coolers, and have been happy with both.
But I can't ever really fault the SM one and it's way cheaper, so that's all I use now :)

I found a 2680v4 for under $300 so we'll see how it goes soon
Hows the noise?

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
It will replace my X10SRA that doesn't have IPMI. I need to find a new fan compatible with the narrow ILM, any suggestion, apart for the usual noctua? It's for a desktop case.
If its going in a desktop case, you could be bold and go liquid! An All-In-One with the Asetek style mounting (Corsair, Antec, NZXT, Thermaltake, and Zalman all have compatible models) will work using a Narrow ILM mounting ring kit ($8.00) from the Asetek online store.

foogitiff

Jul 26, 2018
If its going in a desktop case, you could be bold and go liquid! An All-In-One with the Asetek style mounting (Corsair, Antec, NZXT, Thermaltake, and Zalman all have compatible models) will work using a Narrow ILM mounting ring kit ($8.00) from the Asetek online store.
Haven't touched an AIO watercooling in more than a decade, are they really more performant than a good Noctua?

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
Haven't touched an AIO watercooling in more than a decade, are they really more performant than a good Noctua?
Probably not, or at least not enough to matter. The only reason I tried it originally was because I was building a project machine into an original 2006 vintage Mac Pro case I'd been given and told to do "something interesting with it". I couldn't use air coolers on the dual processor board and keep the original fan shroud, but an AIO fit underneath just fine and the Radiators + 25MM thick fans fit well in the space that the Apple fans formerly occupied. Once I lowered the thresholds on the fan curve to accommodate the slower fans, it stayed pretty silent under normal operation.

That's why it was a recommendation to be bold, rather than it being any better ;)

foogitiff

Jul 26, 2018
Probably not, or at least not enough to matter. The only reason I tried it originally was because I was building a project machine into an original 2006 vintage Mac Pro case I'd been given and told to do "something interesting with it". I couldn't use air coolers on the dual processor board and keep the original fan shroud, but an AIO fit underneath just fine and the Radiators + 25MM thick fans fit well in the space that the Apple fans formerly occupied. Once I lowered the thresholds on the fan curve to accommodate the slower fans, it stayed pretty silent under normal operation.

That's why it was a recommendation to be bold, rather than it being any better ;)
Yes the last time I used it was a H50 on a 1090T because I couldn't fit a big cooler :D

Ended up taking a U12DX i4... like new from Amazon Warehouse. It's still a bold move? :p

Reactions: Markess

samwathegreat

Apr 1, 2020
SO.. again, cooler question if some of you have experience with some of them, since I need to order one:

- NH-D9DX i4 (3U)
- NH-U9DX i4 (4U)
- NH-U12DX i4 (should fit my tower, but pretty sure it will block some ram slot?)
- SNK-P0050AP4 (had two of them on a dual E52670 v1 build, they didn't seem very noisy at idle or low charge. Plus no need to tweak the BMC fan threshold)

Noctua
+ : with the good mounting kit, can be reused on virtually all platform
+: more silence
-: pricey
-: have to run them at full to avoid threshold issue? Or run a scruipt every time the PC is rebooted?

SNK-P0050AP4
+: directly compatible, no question asked
+: less expensive
-: more noise than the Noctua, but by how much?
-: cannot be reused on another platform
The threshold on the noctua fans is a non issue. A simple one-line command with ipmitool or similar will adjust the threshold for whatever port you use the fan on. You can do it booting from a Linux live USB if necessary. The change is persistent across reboots. Not trying to guide you one way or the other, just communicating that rotational speed in regards to the alarm threshold should not necessarily be a factor.

Good luck

Reactions: foogitiff

Spartacus

May 27, 2019
Austin, TX
^ This I'm using the NH-U12DX i4 noctua on my X10SRH-CLN4F (which is physically the same board) doesnt block any standard profile ram.
You do however have to remove the cooler to remove/replace/add to the closest slots (i've been able to angle it in too with the fans removed).

This is the code I use from a linux box with ipmitool installed to resolve the threshold issue:
Code:
ipmitool -H 192.168.1.250 -U ADMIN -P ADMIN sensor thresh FAN1 lower 100 100 100

Reactions: foogitiff

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
I need a new board for a 15 bay system that isn't taxed too hard and spends most of its time at idle. I was thinking E3 (Xeon D is still more than I want to spend right now), but this board looks interesting.

Anyone have any idea how much more power an E5 system of this generation would draw at idle over an otherwise similar spec'd E3 system? By the time of Haswell, I think the C6xx and C2xx chipsets were only ~3w apart, and I'd think an LSI 3008 is going to draw the same regardless?

But I don't know if DDR4 RDIMM vs DDR3 UDIMM is a factor or how well Haswell E5s idled (vs E3) . I've got an E5 v3 in my desktop, but it doesn't idle much :D.

Spartacus

May 27, 2019
Austin, TX
DDR4 ram uses less voltage so respectively should use less power.

That said it all depends on your core/thread/frequency needs, these chips can get as low as 50 TDP which is comparable or lower than some of the E3's.
The e5-2608L v3 for example is a 6c/12t @ 2.0ghz and is only 52w TDP: Intel® Xeon® Processor E5-2608L v3 (15M Cache, 2.00 GHz) Product Specifications

The mobo isn't likely to be a significant draw.

I have two of these systems with a 2690 v3 and a 2660 v3 cpu they pull an average of about 155w each (320w minus the switch from the wall).

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Does anyone know if the SNK-P0050AP4 comes with the narrow bracket? TIA

Marsh

May 12, 2013
I have two version of the SM board, one version is without the SAS controller, the other one is with SAS controller.

Both board with 128gb ram ( 8 x16 gb ) , E5-4667v3 ( 16cores) , 1 SSD.
Running Windows 10 for testing purpose
test board on the workbench without chassis fans , or hard disks

Without SAS , Windows 10 idle at 35-36w
With SAS controller, board idle at 46w

Reactions: n17ikh and Markess

Marsh

May 12, 2013
Anyone have any idea how much more power an E5 system of this generation would draw at idle over an otherwise similar spec'd E3 system
My guess is about 18w-20w for E3-1240 v3 or E3-1270 v3, 4 x8 gb 32gb ram, 1 SSD
No case fans , no hard disks.