Supermicro X10SRH-CF

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

zer0sum

Mar 8, 2013
Well its headless and trying to keep it that way, at least ipmi power controls are still available. I looked through the bios but couldnt find what i was looking for. I’ll have to plug up a monitor again and have a second look.
KVM/IPMI is always going to be driven by the Aspeed 2400 chip

Look under Advanced > PCIe/PCI/PnP Configuration > VGA Priority
"Use this item to select the graphics device to be used as the primary video display for system boot. The options are Onboard and Offboard."

nthu9280

Feb 3, 2016
San Antonio, TX
I actually just bought five Xeon E5-2603 V3 CPUs for $80 and was excited to see V3's prices come down.
There are plenty of listings for E5-2620 v3 for < $20 ea. Unless your use case requires this specific SKU, wouldn't that be a better option for a few $ extra?

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
There are plenty of listings for E5-2620 v3 for < $20 ea. Unless your use case requires this specific SKU, wouldn't that be a better option for a few $ extra?
My use case is I need the least expensive non-ES CPU possible for a LGA2011-3 socket :cool:

Reactions: Fritz

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
I have two version of the SM board, one version is without the SAS controller, the other one is with SAS controller.

Both board with 128gb ram ( 8 x16 gb ) , E5-4667v3 ( 16cores) , 1 SSD.
Running Windows 10 for testing purpose
test board on the workbench without chassis fans , or hard disks

Without SAS , Windows 10 idle at 35-36w
With SAS controller, board idle at 46w
TL : DR Even with the SAS controller disabled on this board, the LSI 3008's heatsink still heats up. Not as hot as when its enabled, but still heats up. Not sure how important that is to anyone. But, anyone planning on disabling the LSI 3008 and using the board in a quiet/low airflow case (like I am) they may want to factor that into their cooling plans.

I'm using a Chenbro RM41300 for this build, which doesn't seem to have been designed with high airflow in mind. I don't need the onboard SAS (at least not yet), and was testing with intent to disable it. But, it seems like the LSI 3008 isn't electrically isolated when disabled, at least not fully. So, now I'm wondering if I should put some extra airflow on it, and maybe the PCH?

I compared my test numbers to the ones above that @Marsh shared (thanks again for sharing those):

-- With SAS controller enabled, idle is the same as @Marsh for his board with SAS: ~46w
-- With SAS controller disabled (jumper JPS1), idle goes down to ~39-40w, about 4w more than @Marsh for his board without onboard SAS. With that discrepancy and the heatsink still heating up, seems to me that some part of the LSI 3008, or associated circuitry/components under the heatsink, must still be drawing power.

Test setup:
32gb RAM (2x16) & E5-2630lv3
Board in Chassis with lid off. Enermax heatsink w/92mm fan. No disks or other fans connected.
Ubuntu 19.10 live session booted from flash drive.

As a final note, the Enermax heatsink's 92mm fan seems to play nice with the default SM fan profiles without any tinkering. So that's a plus :)

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
My 3008 chip is running at 77 degrees celsius. Is that too hot? Should I add a fan to the heatsink? Rest of the system is normal.

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
My 3008 chip is running at 77 degrees celsius. Is that too hot? Should I add a fan to the heatsink? Rest of the system is normal.

The operating range for the 8 port HBA with this chip (LSI SAS 9300-8i) goes up to 55 C 105 C. So it can run pretty hot. https://docs.broadcom.com/doc/12354877

Like most LSI Chips, they specify 200 linear feet per minute (LFM) of airflow for cooling, which doesn't help much when you shop for fans, which are rated in CFM and not LFM.

If you want to do some "point coooling" and add a fan to the heatsink: for reference, a 40mm fan running at 10.82 CFM will put out 200LFM, in a 40mm diameter column. A 50mm fan needs 16.9 CFM, because its a larger diameter column of air.

Edit: I read the wrong line on Temperature Range and the info @zer0sum posted below is the correct amount. I've corrected my text above. Corrected.

zer0sum

Mar 8, 2013
I'd definitely look into cooling it down to around 50 degrees celsius or less if you can.
Operating temps of standalone LSI 9300 controllers is often 0°C to 55°C or even less depending on brand of card.

Reactions: Markess

zer0sum

Mar 8, 2013
The operating range for the 8 port HBA with this chip (LSI SAS 9300-8i) goes up to 105 C. So it can run pretty hot. https://docs.broadcom.com/doc/12354877

Like most LSI Chips, they specify 200 linear feet per minute (LFM) of airflow for cooling, which doesn't help much when you shop for fans, which are rated in CFM and not LFM.

If you want to do some "point coooling" and add a fan to the heatsink: for reference, a 40mm fan running at 10.82 CFM will put out 200LFM, in a 40mm diameter column. A 50mm fan needs 16.9 CFM, because its a larger diameter column of air.
Isn't that 105 max the storage and transit environment rather than operating?
1588802052362.png

Reactions: nthu9280

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
Isn't that 105 max the storage and transit environment rather than operating?
Yes, you're absolutely right, and I was correcting my post when you posted this. Thank you for posting the correct values, or I wouldn't have realized I'd posted the wrong info. Sorry to everyone if I confused the issue.

On the bright side, my figures for LFM to CFM conversion ARE correct :)

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Thanks all. Guess I'll have to increase the air flow. Not gonna be easy. The board is in A Fractal design R5 case. I've already added a beefy 120mm fan to the top. Guess I'll add more. Not to sure about air flow efficiency tho.

nthu9280

Feb 3, 2016
San Antonio, TX
It just needs a small cfm fan. 200 lfm over 1.5” x .25” cross section of the heat sink on SAS controller is ~10 cfm.
server chassis should already have sufficient flow. Desktop cases would need some flow over the sink.

Here is a link to estimate lfm to Cfm

Reactions: Fritz and Markess

foogitiff

Jul 26, 2018
How did you measured it? I don't think there is a temp sensor in the chip.

I put a Noctua NF-A4x20 directly on the SAS heatsink, I hope it will be ok. I still don't have my SAS cables...

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
How did you measured it? I don't think there is a temp sensor in the chip.

I put a Noctua NF-A4x20 directly on the SAS heatsink, I hope it will be ok. I still don't have my SAS cables...
MEGARAID Storage Manager can read it.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
It just needs a small cfm fan. 200 lfm over 1.5” x .25” cross section of the heat sink on SAS controller is ~10 cfm.
server chassis should already have sufficient flow. Desktop cases would need some flow over the sink.

Here is a link to estimate lfm to Cfm

Would you happen to know what size fan fits?

Spartacus

May 27, 2019
Austin, TX
Not sure what temp mine is at, i have a 140mm noctua over it and blowing over my m.2 and 10g nic at the same time. Always been cool enough i could touch ut without withdrawing. i’ll grab my ir temp gun and see what it says.

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
You lot are confusing ambient temperatures with chip temperature. The maximum temperature for the chip is not 55C, it's higher. Broadcom is stating that you can run this in an environment where the ambient temperature is as high as 55C, so long as you have adequate airflow. You could run the HBA in Death Valley with no AC in summer.

I would not worry about it being at 77C.

The_Moves

Mar 12, 2014
I received a X10SRH-CF earlier this week from the linked eBay posting in post 1, as well as a base e5-2603 v3 to test it with until i decided on what to get for a processor - was considering going with a v4, but they are too expensive still yet. Anyways, I tested the board/processor initially with a spare Non-ECC DDR4 Dimm I had available, but the system didn't post. I waited till today when I got in 2x 32GB Samsung RDIMMs (on the compatible list), yet the system didn't post. I swapped the board over into my main chassis with a different PSU thinking it was PSU related, the system didn't post. I have tried without memory, same result, no post.

For all the above cases, I plug the power in and the FANs start spinning immediately. It doesn't jump up to a high fan speed like one would expect to make sure things are working, it is mostly just a constant low speed. After a minute or so the fan seems to slightly slow down audibly, but that may have been my imagination.

Looking through IPMI, i see the "post snooping" code is "ff". Attempting to power-on via IPMI doesn't work. I have also attempted to update the BIOS from 1.0a to 3.2 (latest available i can find), the update says it completes yet the BIOS is not updated when I check the initial IPMI splash page.

Attempting to clear the CMOS by connecting the two headers/soldier points on the systemboard didn't help, nor pulling the battery and letting it sit for a 30 seconds.

Tomorrow i'm supposed to receive the CPU i settled on, a e3-2650l, and will test with it.

I'm afraid it might be a bad motherboard...

Thoughts anyone? I should get some beeps at least from the internal speaker.

Last edited: