Supermicro X10SLL-F issue - BMC not responding

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

chinesestunna

Jan 23, 2015
Just got a X10SLL-F board to start a new build and ran into a weird issue, first some background. Currently have a Core i3 4130 mounted, didn't get ECC UDIMM (my bad) so the main system isn't up and running (I read a thread where others have gotten non-ECC UDIMMs to work but apparently that was with i5 CPUs which does not support ECC, so i3, Pentium and Xeons will force require ECC).
Anyways, as I'm waiting for the RAM to show up, I decided to light up the BMC module and poke around in IPMI a bit. I connected the power, BMC heartbeat LED is blinking but IPMIView can't find the BMC ip address in the local subnet.
I've reset the CMOS, still no go. One odd behavior I've noticed is that the dedicated BMC lan status LED is blinking. In my experience the status LED (left) should stay lit while the right activity LED will blink to indicate activity. So now the BMC LAN status LED blinking seems strange to me and I'm suspecting the board is defective.
My previous experiences with Supermicro X8/X9 IPMI have always been fairly good, but I've not had a situation where the board hasn't go through a full post cycle (in my case lack of proper RAM) before me attempting to access IPMI.

Any ideas? Thoughts?

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
If you got it used, it could have a static IP assigned to it. You can either poke around with Wireshark or wait on the rest of your components.

Reactions: chinesestunna

chinesestunna

Jan 23, 2015
If you got it used, it could have a static IP assigned to it. You can either poke around with Wireshark or wait on the rest of your components.
Thanks, yea one of the eBay refurbs. I was thinking along the same lines and all Googling to reset BMC leads back to being able to bring the system up, top hit usually @Patrick 's nice write up on using IPMITools. What's gotten me a bit concerned is the "Status LED" will not stay on, even with a static IP it should indicate a stable link, my router does show the port is connected with a gigabit connection.
I'm actually a bit surprised there's no "Reset BMC" jumper like with BIOS settings.