Supermicro X10SL7-F won't power up anymore

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

the.patcher

Mar 7, 2014
Hello servethehome Community,

I have a serious problem! Two weeks ago I bought components for my new home server.
I decided to buy a X10SL7-F mainboard, a Xeon E3-1230 v3, 16 GB ECC Kingston RAM and a Sea Sonic G-Series G-360 360W power supply. The system worked very well from the first moment on.
But after I powered my system down over last night (I switched off the power supply too), I can't get it on since than.
When I press the power button, nothing happens (and I mean really nothing!).
All control LEDs on the board acting normal and I even can connect to the IPMI port.
But over IPMI I have the same behavior, as I have over the physical power button, nothing is happening.
I absolutely don't know what to do!
Should I reset the bios by removing the battery?
Could it be a defect CPU, but it should at least give a bios error tone, shouldn't it?

Thanks a lot for your help!

bwillcox

Jan 20, 2013
Tejas
Power pull it for at least 30 minutes. If that does not help, then time to pull the bios battery and let it sit for a while.

the.patcher

Mar 7, 2014
Thanks for your advice!

Sadly nothing helped me so far.
I switched the power supply off and pulled the power cable. After that I pulled out the battery and waited 30+ minutes.
But I can't see any difference at all.

The same happens with the cmos clearing jumper. I don't know, if I did it right or not. I can't recognise any difference in the behaviour of the computer.

So I think the advice in the manual is a bit weird:
JBT1 is used to clear the saved system setup configuration stored in the CMOS chip. To clear the contents of the CMOS, completely shut down the system, remove the AC power cord and then short JBT1 with a jumper. Remove the jumper before powering on the system again. This will erase all user settings and revert everything to their factory-set defaults.
Should I really short the jumper just when the computer is switched off? Could this work like that?

Thanks again!

mobilenvidia

Sep 25, 2011
New Zealand
Clearing CMOS is usually done that way, with power off
Setting jumper shorts the battery = no power getting to CMOS = forget and load defaults

Pull Power cable (24pin) from Mobo press power on, then plug power back in, turn on.

Pull everything out of mobo, but the bare essentials - RAM and CPU, turn on.

Try a different power switch (ie reset) on the power on jumper, switch might be faulty.
ie plug reset switch into power jumper and use that (I had Case with a broken power switch, did my head in till I tried this)

Try the PSU on another Mobo.
The PSU won'turn on unless it gets Power good signal from Mobo.
If PSU turns on then this is not at fault and Mobo or something on Mobo is at fault

the.patcher

Mar 7, 2014
Thanks again for all your help!

I discovered the problem. It was actually the power supply, which was only two weeks old!
With the power supply from my old pc, my new server is starting without any problem.
But I think this is a bit strange, because every single control LED on the motherboard suggested that everything were fine.

I hope the next PU works a bit longer!