supermicro X10SL7-F vs X10SLH-F

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

tubs-ffm

Sep 1, 2013
I do not have a X10SLH-F yet but the 7 version with the LSI controller is one that has been running non-stop since I set it up a few weeks ago.
Did you measured the power consumption of your system once?

I would be interesten in what is the power consumption of your system in combination with your CPU. For better comparison a measurement without HDDs is maybe the best.

nas4n00b

Jul 12, 2013
I just followed this guide
http://www.napp-it.org/doc/manuals/flash_x9srh-7tf_it.pdf
No software needed. Just load the firmware onto usb and center the LSI configuration screen. At boot up, there will be a prompt that will tell you what to press to enter.

I am thinking of getting the board, can you let us know which firmware software you used to flash. Preferrably with a link.

Thanks

This looks like a great forum.

omniscence

Nov 30, 2012
Which CPU cooler do you use on the X10SL7-F? The heatsink of the LSI controller gets extremely hot, I almost burned my fingers on it.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
What chassis are you using? If you have a standard workstation chassis, it is fairly easy to just add a quiet dedicated fan.

omniscence

Nov 30, 2012
It is still on my desk and is going into a Chenbro 4U 16 bay rackmount case. Those have 5 80mm fans (replaced by silent models) mounted at the upper part of the internal wall and I fear that they do not provide enough airflow for such a small heatsink in such position.

Jeggs101

Dec 29, 2010
It is still on my desk and is going into a Chenbro 4U 16 bay rackmount case. Those have 5 80mm fans (replaced by silent models) mounted at the upper part of the internal wall and I fear that they do not provide enough airflow for such a small heatsink in such position.
Does it come with a heatsink already? If not, I'd first use a chipset/ GPU sink on there.

If it does have a sink. You could always try building a baffle to channel air over the sink. Most OEM designs do this at least for CPU's.

omniscence

Nov 30, 2012
It has a heat sink that is glued to the apparently bare die. To remove it could be difficult and can destroy the chip or at least will void the warranty. I will try to somehow fit a small fan to it. I always wanted to build air ducts for my add-on cards with acryllic glass, but this is a time-consuming process.

bionicbeagle

Nov 30, 2012
Stockholm
www.bionicbeagle.com
The LSI cards all need extra cooling since they seem to be designed for high airflow chassis (understandable). I've had to add a PCI slot blower next to my LSI 9270 in my workstation, and an Antec Spotcool on the LSI 9260 in my 4U server. Without them they kept overheating (especially the 9270 which went well over 100C otherwise). The Spotcool is quite flexible and could definitely be used to cool a motherboard chip.

nosnibor80

Sep 11, 2013
I'm really interested in this card too. Does the BIOS support ATA passwords?

I am building a similar system, but I can't find a MB that supports SED-capable drives. I want to have hardware-based Self-Encrypting Drives, but it seems that the only regular commercial MBs that support SED (via ATA passwords) are laptop (where this tech makes the most sense, admittedly). So, I'm hoping that this one does.

vegaman

Sep 12, 2013
Auckland, New Zealand
Hi, new member here :)

Just ordered a X10SL7-F too, will be a nice upgrade from my X7SPA-H I've been using as a NAS for a couple of years.
I've also got an IBM M1015 controller that I'll be using in the new build, and probably get another sometime later to expand to 24 drives.