Supermicro X10SL7-F - No Sensor readings?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Vocalpoint

Mar 25, 2016
Calgary, AB
I just took delivery of this board for a new home server build and I am trying to find my way around the unit. Today I finally got the IPMI interface working so I can see into the unit via browser.

But for the life of me - I cannot see any sensor data at all. Everything under Sensor Readings shows "N/A". I have the CPU fan plugged into what I believe is the right fan header (FAN 1) .

I should also mention that I am using two silent 80mm Fractal Design 3 Pin fans - which I realize probably will not present any sensor data. But I am concerned that none of the 23 censors are displaying anything.

Some other info I found says to reset to factory? Or even clear CMOS?

Q on CMOS: What does this mean "Clear the contents of the CMOS, completely shut down the system, remove the AC power cord and then short JBT1 with a jumper "

The JBT1 "area" on this board is looks like two solder blobs beside each other. Exactly how does one use a jumper to "short" this? Grab a blue jumper from elsewhere on the board and simply touch the ends on these solder blobs? Every other board I have ever used - had actual pins to move a standard jumper onto and off of. This one is bizarre.

Appreciate any help you can give. This board is a challenge compared to any others I have worked with.

Cheers!

VP

Netwerkz101

Dec 27, 2015
I just took delivery of this board for a new home server build and I am trying to find my way around the unit. Today I finally got the IPMI interface working so I can see into the unit via browser.

But for the life of me - I cannot see any sensor data at all. Everything under Sensor Readings shows "N/A". I have the CPU fan plugged into what I believe is the right fan header (FAN 1) .

I should also mention that I am using two silent 80mm Fractal Design 3 Pin fans - which I realize probably will not present any sensor data. But I am concerned that none of the 23 censors are displaying anything.

Some other info I found says to reset to factory? Or even clear CMOS?

Q on CMOS: What does this mean "Clear the contents of the CMOS, completely shut down the system, remove the AC power cord and then short JBT1 with a jumper "

The JBT1 "area" on this board is looks like two solder blobs beside each other. Exactly how does one use a jumper to "short" this? Grab a blue jumper from elsewhere on the board and simply touch the ends on these solder blobs? Every other board I have ever used - had actual pins to move a standard jumper onto and off of. This one is bizarre.

Appreciate any help you can give. This board is a challenge compared to any others I have worked with.

Cheers!

VP
X10SL7-F Manual
http://www.supermicro.com/manuals/motherboard/C222/MNL-1463.pdf

I am thinking you should see sensor data once powered on and initialized.
You will not see any data if the board is off/non-initialized.

For a 3-pin fan, you should see the RPM data...(pin 3 = tachometer).

It's been a few months since I have seen a physical visual of the motherboard, but I did not remember
the CMOS reset not being a standard jumper...but according to the manual ...it's solder points.
Per the manual...turn off, unplug AC, short (wire, paper clip ends, etc.) release, plug in AC and boot.

Vocalpoint

Mar 25, 2016
Calgary, AB
Yes - I updated the system BIOS for the machine first (to 3.0a) and then the IPMI firmware (to 03.27) and the sensor data now shows correctly.

I then also got bit by the "fans roaring to full speed ever 5 seconds" scenario after installing two new Noctua fans yesterday. Had to use ipmiutil to reset the thresholds and now things are nice and quiet.

Cheers

VP

Netwerkz101

Dec 27, 2015
Thank you for following up.

Nothing like a complete "help" thread:
- "I have problem X."
- "I took these steps to attempt to resolve problem X: ....."
- "The steps to resolve problem X were: ....."