Supermicro X10SL7-F fan control

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

katit

Mar 18, 2015
I wanted to know how different are FANA from FAN1-4 connectors? Manual doesn't say anything about it. I'm wondering which one to use for CPU.

I also have 5 fans, which ones to use for midlplane fans (3 of them) and which ones for rear exhaust? I want quiet system and ideally I want to control fans myself, is there any info on how this is done? I only found couple choices in IPMI and I found RPM's listed in IPMI. Other than that - no info..

neo

Mar 18, 2015
FANA is for the CPU

If you want granular control besides the 3 presets in the IPMI choices you need a manual fan controller.

Reactions: katit

katit

Mar 18, 2015
Thanks! But how exactly those manual fan controller works? Just curious, they don't have any sensors, just set them to certain speed and thats it?

namike

Sep 2, 2014
I also have FAN1 dedicated to my CPU. My other case fans are plugged into the other FAN spots. FanA is unused in my system, however I am using a desktop style case for my box.

katit

Mar 18, 2015
Problem is - there is not much in manual:

Fan Headers (Fan 1-Fan 4 & Fan A )
The X10SL7-F has five fan headers (Fan 1-Fan 4 & Fan A). These fans are 4-pin fan headers. Although pins 1-3 of the onboard fan headers are backward compatible with the traditional 3-pin fans, we recommend that you use 4-pin fans to take advantage of the fan speed control via IPMI interface. This allows the fan speeds to be automatically adjusted based on the motherboard temperature. Refer to the table on the right for pin definitions.

james23

Nov 18, 2014
fwiw- on my 4u 24bay chaisis / x9DR3-LN4f+ , when i set the ipmi fan profile to HEAVY IO , it leaves all the fans at ~3500rpm (which is what all fans are usually at with OPTIMAL or STANDARD fan profile) , Except that is spins up only FAN A to ~7000 RPMs.

so based on that i would think FAN A is for addon /pcie cards (i dont have a fan connected to fan B, so maybe fan A and fan B).

i say that as i would assume heavy IO means that your pcie cards (HBA / raid / pcie nvme) will be under heavy load / heat and thus need addtl cooling.

i could be wrong, this is just my observations.

edit, found this:
from the X9SRL manual,
Page 1-5, "FANA Thermal fan header for I/O add-on cards"
Page 2-23, " Fan1~Fan4: System Fans Fan A: I/O Fan"
from this post:
Supermicro fan control, IPMIUTIL or FEEIPMI?

PD_ZFS-User

Jul 13, 2018
I wanted to know how different are FANA from FAN1-4 connectors? Manual doesn't say anything about it. I'm wondering which one to use for CPU.

I also have 5 fans, which ones to use for midlplane fans (3 of them) and which ones for rear exhaust? I want quiet system and ideally I want to control fans myself, is there any info on how this is done? I only found couple choices in IPMI and I found RPM's listed in IPMI. Other than that - no info..
Here's a reference posted in 2016 that may help: https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?resources/supermicro-x9-x10-x11-fan-speed-control.20/

Cheers