Supermicro X10SDV-TP8F

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

C@mM!

Jan 18, 2016
Canberra
Argh, why is this the only SuperMicro Xeon-D board with SFP+ MicroATX! Or that there is no decent MicroATX NAS Cases!

Reactions: Evan

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Argh, why is this the only SuperMicro Xeon-D board with SFP+ MicroATX! Or that there is no decent MicroATX NAS Cases!
And the 2 core does not come in mini-itx
Such is life I guess...

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
SM answered my inquiry about when they would post the manuals, BIOS updates, etc. Got a very PC scripted response:

We're working as fast as we can to get the updates ready...
Oh well. At least they fixed the BIOS for me. Hopefully it won't take too long.

Reactions: IamSpartacus

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
SM answered my inquiry about when they would post the manuals, BIOS updates, etc. Got a very PC scripted response:

We're working as fast as we can to get the updates ready...
Oh well. At least they fixed the BIOS for me. Hopefully it won't take too long.
Thanks for the update. Once I get ESXi 6U2 installed over the next few days it'll be interesting to see if I run into any of the NIC identifier issues you identified. All my Linux servers will be in VMs so as long as VMware sees the NICs correctly I should be fine.

I would like those manuals ASAP though.

C@mM!

Jan 18, 2016
Canberra
I just don't think a mini-itx board has the real estate to give you what you're looking for unfortunately.
Quite possibly, the SuperMicro boards are almost perfect in this regard except the 10Gb being Base-T rather than SFP. Shrug, wouldn't be a problem if latency wasn't a concern in my usecase.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
Quite possibly, the SuperMicro boards are almost perfect in this regard except the 10Gb being Base-T rather than SFP. Shrug, wouldn't be a problem if latency wasn't a concern in my usecase.
I assume you need an add on HBA and that's why you can't go miniITX + SFP+ AIC?

C@mM!

Jan 18, 2016
Canberra
Makes sense. That was the whole reason I waited for the flex ATX models to come out. How limited are you with regard to space for a case?
Due to a bureaucratic nightmare, my rack is short depth. Most NAS cases I've seen at Micro-ATX and above won't rack, and the latency is due to being a Hyper-V target.

This might be promising Industrial Chassis | iStarUSA Products | D-260HB-DT - 2U Compact 6x 3.5" Bay Hotswap microATX Desktop Chassis

But I'll need to figure out shipping to Aus.

aquarapid

Apr 20, 2016
Not to thread-crap; but there's no dedicated thread for the Gigabyte MB10-DS3 / MB10-DS4 boards yet. Obviously this is more interesting than the SM because of the SFP+. Does anyone know of a US reseller (or even Taiwan reseller) that has them in stock? Everywhere in the US seems to be "coming soon" or "OOS". If this is against forum rules, a PM would be appreciated.

I'm looking to acquire a bunch of these (20+).

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
Not to thread-crap; but there's no dedicated thread for the Gigabyte MB10-DS3 / MB10-DS4 boards yet. Obviously this is more interesting than the SM because of the SFP+. Does anyone know of a US reseller (or even Taiwan reseller) that has them in stock? Everywhere in the US seems to be "coming soon" or "OOS". If this is against forum rules, a PM would be appreciated.

I'm looking to acquire a bunch of these (20+).
The board this thread is based on has SFP+ ports.

aquarapid

Apr 20, 2016
Sorry, you are correct of course; but SM has no 8 core (or 12 core?) Xeon D version with SFP+; just 2 and 4 (and now 16) cores. The 1540/1541 is really the sweet spot for a balanced combo of memory / CPU power / price. The X10SDV-7TP8F (16 core) version with SFP+ looks great but the pricing is pretty steep (approaching $2500).

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
Sorry, you are correct of course; but SM has no 8 core (or 12 core?) Xeon D version with SFP+; just 2 and 4 (and now 16) cores. The 1540/1541 is really the sweet spot for a balanced combo of memory / CPU power / price. The X10SDV-7TP8F (16 core) version with SFP+ looks great but the pricing is pretty steep (approaching $2500).
Yes they do, the D-1537. I have two of them.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

aquarapid

Apr 20, 2016
Ah; that is worth considering, although the pricing seems to be around the same as the dual X10SDV-TLN4F (Xeon D 1541) version, which is quite a bit faster, which seems to make little sense. There is also the density factor to consider; the X10SDV-TLN4F is mini-ITX, and has a definite leg up when you're trying to stuff as many as possible of these into a rack.

If I believed in conspiracies, I'd say SM was trying to protect their microblade products, which all use the D1541s. I am not opposed to buying the microblades, they actually work out relatively cheaply if you buy a fully populated chassis, EXCEPT for the VLP memory, which costs almost 2x what normal memory for the standalone motherboards are. And that will make a difference of many 10s of thousands of dollars.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
Ah; that is worth considering, although the pricing seems to be around the same as the dual X10SDV-TLN4F (Xeon D 1541) version, which is quite a bit faster, which seems to make little sense. There is also the density factor to consider; the X10SDV-TLN4F is mini-ITX, and has a definite leg up when you're trying to stuff as many as possible of these into a rack.

If I believed in conspiracies, I'd say SM was trying to protect their microblade products, which all use the D1541s. I am not opposed to buying the microblades, they actually work out relatively cheaply if you buy a fully populated chassis, EXCEPT for the VLP memory, which costs almost 2x what normal memory for the standalone motherboards are. And that will make a difference of many 10s of thousands of dollars.
The difference is the D-1537 board just like the D-1587 comes with an onboard LSI controller.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Netwerkz101

Dec 27, 2015
Something odd..unexpected....

Just picked up one of these:
Micro Center - Computers and Electronics
OCZ RD400 PCIE NVMe M.2 512GB SSD

I wanted to test out my M.2 slot so I took it off the PCIE adapter and placed it in the M.2 slot.
Without even turning on power.... just sitting the temp was pretty warm ...almost hot.

Anyone else with this board see something similar with their M.2 slot/device?

I have since placed it back on the PCIE adapter and it's been running fine though I have not checked temps.