Supermicro X10SDV: how to get into BIOS?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Rhinox

May 27, 2013
I just updated bios on my X10SDV mobo using dos-formated USB-stick, everything went well (usb-attached keyboard worked, so I could start the process with "flash.bat x10sdvf8.213"). At the end it says to reboot, so I rebooted, and now I want to get into bios, but simply can't. I tried <Delete>, <F1> and <F2> keys (as I found in mobo-manual), but nothing happens, and system goes on. Then either it stops (no bootable device found), or boots up (if I plug in bootable usb-stick).

When I start it, these messages appear (recorded on video):
SUPERMICRO
PEI--IPMI Initialization.. (some numbers here, i.e. 00, 33, 4F, 9A, etc)
(screen goes blank for a few seconds, then continues)
DXE--OOB Data Initialization... (again some numbers, i.e. 70, 79, 91,etc)
(screen goes blank for a few seconds, then continues and this menu appears)
SUPERMICRO
www.supermicro.com

Press <TAB> to display BIOS POST message. Press <DEL> to run Setup.
Press <F11> to invoke Boot Menu. Press <F12> to boot from PXE/LAN.
This remains on screen for no more then half a second, and no matter how frantically I keep pressing <DEL>, I never get into bios! It goes on with messages:

Initializing Intel(R) Boot Agent GE v1.5.13
PXE 2.1 Build 092 (WfM 2.0)
Copyright (C) 1997-2013, Intel Corporation
Initializing and establishing link...
PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable
PXE-M0F: Exiting Intel Boot Agent.
Reboot and Select proper Boot device
or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key

So wtf am I suppposed to do? I tested two different usb-keyboard (wired and wireless), still the same. How can I get to that bloody BIOS?

Marsh

May 12, 2013
Remove the CMOS battery for few min, or use "reset CMOS jumper" to reset the CMOS.

Rhinox

May 27, 2013
Thanks to all who replied. I cleared cmos and tested one more keyboard, but it did not help. Finally I "solved" this problem by pressing <Delete> key right when screen went blank after "DXE--OOB Data Initialization" (before any other message appeared).

It seems to me my old LCD takes quite some time switching modes (a few seconds), so there was probably already following message (Press <DEL> to run Setup), but I could not see it on screen yet. And when it finally showed, it was really just for a split of second and I was not fast enough to press <Delete> in time (maybe it was already too late).

I could not even read that message before I recorded it on video first! I think Supermicro could have made that delay a little longer, or maybe even configurable in bios...

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
I think Supermicro could have made that delay a little longer
When you disable the supermicro logo the "press del to enter bios" message shows up twice, almost instantly after turning the system on and another time during/after post

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Have you tried via IPMI?
And its too bad that SM boards don't have a 'go to Bios' option in IPMI like Intel servers have :/

Worst case - get a bootable OS on a stick and then either use ipmitool to force bios or OS 'go to bios' function (eg win 10)

Rhinox

May 27, 2013
When you disable the supermicro logo the "press del to enter bios" message shows up twice, almost instantly after turning the system on and another time during/after post
As I later found, I have logo disabled, but the first thing I can see is message "PEI--IPMI Initialization". But again, before that message my screen is blank for a few seconds.

Have you tried via IPMI?
No I did not, because without access to bios I had no idea how it is congirured (IP?).

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Depends - if you never set it its on DHCP. You should be able to see the IP on boot if it found one. If you cant see it use something like 'Advanced IP Scanner' to quickly check your network

You also can set via IPMITOOL if you boot from a stick. Just make sure to power off the board or do bmc cold reset afterwards so it takes on next reboot.

Reactions: Tha_14