Supermicro X10SDV-4C-TLN2F BMC Firmware 3.88 vs 3.91

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Weapon

Oct 19, 2013
I just purchased a Supermicro X10SDV-4C-TLN2F on eBay and upon logging into the BMC I see it has firmware rev 3.91 whereas the latest version according to the Supermicro product page is 3.88. Does anyone know what the difference is? Should I flash it to 3.88?

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
there may changes in 3.91 required for other motherboards only.
if anything is OK leave it as it is.
downgrade BMC firmware can produce issues.

ericloewe

Apr 24, 2017
Similar story here. My board arrived with a weird 7.x firmware version - it included a few users that suggested it had been in use at OVH, so it may be a custom job for their deployments.
Foolishly, I flashed 3.88, did not back up the original firmware, and now a lot of things in the webGUI are semi-broken - though everything not webGUI-related seems to be fine. Non-exhaustive list:
  • No sensors info. Not even the list of sensors.
  • HTML5 iKVM does not work (button is greyed out) - Java iKVM is fine.
  • Some pages have options with weird labels like "undefined" - e.g. the factory reset page
  • VGA output preview does not work
Clearing the settings, flashing again with the "get rid of all settings" option from the BIOS BMC utility and various combinations of BMC reboots made no change.

Now, one thing that's suspicious is that the BMC firmware image Supermicro publishes is exactly the same as the one for A1Sxi boards - it works fine there. I didn't think much of it (the sha256 is the same), since they could easily just have configurations for all X10/A1 models in the same image.

I was wondering if anyone has any leads on this.

Leaving this post up so that future readers may laugh at my incompetence. A hard refresh of the webGUI fixed things. It's amazing how much crap breaks in such a specific manner. Like, did they change the client-side table rendering code?

Last edited:

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
its like ebay, they change javascript content but never the script name(cache issue)

ericloewe

Apr 24, 2017
Does 3.91 have pseudo-random default passwords? If so, that would explain why it's not offered on the website, if that's the only real change.