EU Supermicro X10DRX (11x PCIE)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

LukeP

Feb 12, 2017
bifurcation works by dividing x8 into two x4/x4 so there is no increase in load on the motherboard or pcie lanes. so there is no obvious reason why it cant do this. maybe they thought noone will need it?

anyway its annoying because its on all their other motherboards. you can run 4 gpu in one slot if it supports 4x/4x/4x/4x quad bifurcation, which they usually do on x16 slots.

so there really is no benefit to this motherboard over other SM boards except for not needing simple cheap non-PLX pcie splitters

i mean i love it, but i feel a (little) bit cheated by the lack of Bi.

and OH MY GOD no open ended PCIE slots was a huge shock as well! what were they thinking there! such a pain to not be able to throw in a simple video card or x16 storage cards directly.

Last edited:

funkywizard

mmm.... bandwidth.
Jan 15, 2017
USA
ioflood.com
bifurcation works by dividing x8 into two x4/x4 so there is no increase in load on the motherboard or pcie lanes. so there is no obvious reason why it cant do this. maybe they thought noone will need it?

anyway its annoying because its on all their other motherboards. you can run 4 gpu in one slot if it supports 4x/4x/4x/4x quad bifurcation, which they usually do on x16 slots.
Most supermicro motherboards are designed to use a riser with multiple slower pcie slots on it, which in turn connects to a single faster pcie slot on the motherboard. That's clearly not the use case for this motherboard, so I'm not surprised the feature is missing.

so there really is no benefit to this motherboard over other SM boards except for not needing simple cheap non-PLX pcie splitters
It's a niche product for sure. I'd love to use PCIe splitters to hook up more gpus to one pcie slot. Especially faster than pcie x1. Any products you recommend for that?

and OH MY GOD no open ended PCIE slots was a huge shock as well! what were they thinking there! such a pain to not be able to throw in a simple video card or x16 storage cards directly.
No kidding. I don't really want to have to use a dremel on this.