Supermicro X10DRU-i+: How to power addtional SSDs

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

eyeshield21

Apr 5, 2021
Hi guys, I recently acquired a few U.2 NVMe SSDs which I intend to add to my CSE-829U X10DRU-i+ System. I connected them to AOC-SLG3-2E4 adapter card, and only then did I realize that there is not a single SATA power port on the motherboard. Nor could I find a molex connector.

Now, supermicro does have CBL-PWEX-0696 (4-Pin (Fan) to Straight SATA 15-Pin Power Cable), which got me very confused. Are those intended for providing sata power off the 4-pin fan headers? Sounds extremely suspicious but I couldn't think of how that cable can possibly be used otherwise.

Do I have any option here to use those SSDs, or am I stuck with a bunch of parts that I can't actually use? Would really appreciate any input here.

kapone

May 23, 2015
This pic show the innards of these (typical systems)

x10dru_inside.jpg

Notice the four "white/ivory" 8 pin connectors? That's where you tap power for 12v and 5v for any non-stock configurations. Even in a chassis without an expander, only three of these are used (I have one like that), leaving one still empty.

eyeshield21

Apr 5, 2021
This pic show the innards of these (typical systems)

View attachment 18197

Notice the four "white/ivory" 8 pin connectors? That's where you tap power for 12v and 5v for any non-stock configurations. Even in a chassis without an expander, only three of these are used (I have one like that), leaving one still empty.
I did wonder about how I could maybe use those 8 pin connectors to power my SATA drives, but it doesn't seem like there exist cables to do exactly that? Do I need to somehow DIY cables myself? If so, do you know where I should start since I don't have prior exeprience in that.

Anyway, many thanks for the reply!

kapone

May 23, 2015
You'll most likely have to DIY the cables (which is not difficult at all), unless you want to contact Supermicro support and see if they'll sell you the backplane power cables (which you see in the pic, but they have a 4pin molex at the end. A molex to SATA converter will be needed) separately.

eyeshield21

Apr 5, 2021
You'll most likely have to DIY the cables (which is not difficult at all), unless you want to contact Supermicro support and see if they'll sell you the backplane power cables (which you see in the pic, but they have a 4pin molex at the end. A molex to SATA converter will be needed) separately.
I actually found CBL-PWEX-0652 which should be the 8 pin to molex power cables used in my server. Thank you so much! There is light at the end of the tunnel after all.

Reactions: kapone

neuen

Apr 23, 2020
Hello everyone!

Sorry for hijacking the thread.

I have a similar question but related to X10DRG-HT and PDB-PT118-DGH. They don't have ivory 8-pin ports, they only have black 8-pin ones.

X10DRU-i+ ivory and black ports:
Screenshot 2021-11-13 at 12.22.03.png

X10DRG-HT
Screenshot 2021-11-13 at 12.21.59.png

As far as I understand, black 8 pin ports are not compatible with the CBL-PWEX-0652 8 pin to 2 molex cable due to different wiring and lack of +5V. At the same time, Supermicro suggests in Parts List connecting the backplane with CBL-0460L using black 8-pin port so either backplane converts +12V to +5V or +5V is not essential.

Do you know if there is any way besides Supermicro 30cm 4-Pin (Fan) to Straight SATA 15-Pin Power Cable (CBL-PWEX-0696) or backplane (e. g. BPN-SAS-118G-4 + CBL-0460L) to power SATA on this motherboard?

Thank you!

P. S. While I'm at it, could you kindly explain what's the difference between black 8-pin ports on PDB-PT118-DGH and on the motherboard itself? I understand all of them are suitable for powering GPU. Which ones should I prefer to use and why?