Supermicro X10DRi boot from NVMe (modified BIOS inside)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

username

Sep 22, 2020
Hi, All!

I have bought MB Supermicro X10DRi and AOC-SLG3-2M2 PCIe x8 adapter for two NVMe storages.

Yes, I should have better read info about X10DRi support of AOC storage devices, but now it doesn't matter.

Faced the problem: BIOS doesn't see NVMe-storages as boot devices.

For example, another MB Supermicro X10SRi-F supports booting from NVMe devices. So I decided to modify BIOS.

Searched google, and found some links:

I have downloaded latest BIOS for X10DRi and modified it with UEFITool v0.28.0 + NvmExpressDxe_4.ffs.
After that I flashed it.
Now BIOS sees NVMe-storages as boot devices(Boot section of BIOS).

If you are not sure of BIOS flashing it would be better to get IPMI license to get opportunity for BIOS flashing through IPMI(in that case you will be able to flash BIOS even if corrupted one).

Modified BIOS for X10DRi with NVMe-storages support as boot devices

For info.
I used Intel 760P and Samsung 970 as NVMe storages, and BIOS can see them.

Reactions: Auggie and mpyusko

krbvroc1

Oct 2, 2020
How did you get this working? I attempted to follow the instructions and
1) There is no CSMCORE text string present in the BIOS
2) Loading the BIOS x10DRi0.514 into UEFITool 0.28.0 shows a message at the bottom (parseFile: non-empty pad-file contents will be destroyed after volume modifications) - there is a warning in the instructions not to proceed if this happens
3) I tried your image via the IPMI and got 'can't find FID string' when loading it, so it wasn't even possible to flash it.

EDIT: First I updated to a non modified version of X10DRi.514, then updated to your version and it worked! I would still like to know how you accomplished it so I can repeat in the future.

Last edited:

username

Sep 22, 2020
If I remember it right, I also have got similar error during BIOS flashing through the IPMI. Googled and have found somewhere at supermicro forum that needs to update BMC IPMI Firmware to get rid of that error. So I have flashed BMC IPMI Firmware to the latest one and after that no error occured during BIOS flashing through IPMI.

Be careful while flashing BMC IPMI firmware, need to do exactly what is written in instruction for flashing, especially careful with checkboxes. I haven't been careful, and after flashing BMC IPMI Firmware had to reset IPMI, nothing scary, just unpleasantly( i had to set all IPMI options anew).

About BIOS modifying.
NvmExpressDxe_4.ffs has been inserted to the end of the padding that contains DXE modules.
You can compare modified BIOS and the original one.

Last edited:

username

Sep 22, 2020
Yes, it looks like the post I have found.
It's good that the problem has been solved quite simple)

In my case if BMC flashing would not help, it would be necessary to unsolder the BIOS chip and flash through the programmer, it's a pity that the BIOS chip is soldered, and not just inserted into the connector on the MB.
Some time ago I have bought that programmer, already have used it for flashing BIOS chip for ASUS P9X79.

solon

Apr 1, 2021
Not sure if it's of any use to anyone, but I did this mod on the Supermicro X10DRH-iT Bios, and it's now working. I needed to manually create a boot option for it, pointing to the UEFI boot file, and needed to disable the UEFI shell as a boot option, but it's now working reliably on a board with 2 other nvme drives and six SATA drives attached, which don't appear to cause any interference.

The mod is available here, it's too large to upload to STH:

mpyusko

Oct 21, 2022
FYI, I did this successfully on the X10DRI using:
File Name: X10DRi1.816.zip
Revision: 3.4a
Size(KB): 9,396
MMTool 5.02.0025
(version 4 didn't show many of the line names.)
ASUS Hyper M.2 X16 PCIe 3.0 X4 Expansion Card V2

(No RAID drivers required)

iltoiu76

Dec 22, 2022
MMTool 5.02.0025

can you share bios?

Vlads23

Aug 14, 2023
MMTool 5.02.0025

mpyusko
I have the same configuration. Could you please share modified BIOS 3.4a (X10DRi1.816.zip)?

Thev

Mar 28, 2024
In case anyone is still looking for this, I just created a bios based off the latest X10DRI1.816. I flashed via IPMI aswell.

Sorry but i'm new to modding a bios. Every page i visited is saying follow the bios update instructions and because of that I dont know what to do with the .bin file in here. Could you explain how to use it to update the bios.