Supermicro X10DRG-Q Motherboard Dual Socket R3 $200+shipping

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

ajs

Mar 27, 2018
Minnesota
Be aware this board is a proprietary form factor.. not sure what chassis you can fit it in.

Form Factor
  • Proprietary
Dimensions
  • 15.2" x 13.2" (38.61cm x 33.53cm)

Reactions: BLinux

Bert

Mar 31, 2018
I have HPTX compatible cases with 10 expansion slots. I am hoping that this motherboard would fit there. The trouble of installing this into my workstation is daunting though.

The last motherboard is also sold.

Reactions: Marsh

LukeP

Feb 12, 2017
what are you doing with these bountiful pcie boards ?

and why these over cheap x99 dual boards from china?

Bert

Mar 31, 2018
I see that this motherboard has also thunderbolt controller. I guess all we need is a thunderbolt card to take advantage of it.

Bert

Mar 31, 2018
I finally get a chance to install this motherboard after getting narrow ILM compatible watercooling blocks at reasonable prices.

It was kind of bummer to see that both of my 10 expansion slot cases were not large enough to accommodate this motherboard due to 0.2" (15.2" vs 15") difference over HPTX motherboard. I solved this problem by moving the power supply to a second location on my second case.

While I am still working on building the system, I noticed two issues:

1. There is no heatsink on the front VRM/Mosfet in CPU 1. Anyone has any idea how to address this? It seems like for some reason Supermicro installed the heatsink only on CPU 2 VRM/mosfets. @Marsh, @funkywizard I think you are already using this motherboard, did you add a heatsink for the CPU1 VRM/Mosfet ?

2. As expected, some of the screw holes were not aligned. I was able to get 8 out of 14 aligned so I am going with that. I am considering to put some plastic feet to prevent bending of the motherboard while installing cards/memory but I hope that 8 screws will hold the motherboard and expansion cards. I am not sure if anyone sees a big problem with that

Last edited:

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
1. There is no heatsink on the front VRM/Mosfet in CPU 1. Anyone has any idea how to address this? It seems like for some reason Supermicro installed the heatsink only on CPU 2 VRM/mosfets. @Marsh, @funkywizard I think you are already using this motherboard, did you add a heatsink for the CPU1 VRM/Mosfe
The VRMs on CPU 1 should (probably should?) be pretty low height wise and have metallic tops. They're designed to dissipate heat through the metallic top and horizontally through the motherboard strata without the need for a heatsink. SM, and others, set up the VRMs of CPU 1 this way because in a rackmount configuration they get the cooler air (so don't have as much need for a heatsink) and to minimize disruption of the airflow to the rear of the case. The rearmost CPU's VRMs get a heatsink because the air is already heated by the time it gets to them, so additional dissipation surface is needed/helpful.

I didn't know this myself, and someone else on the forum explained it to me a couple years ago.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fritz

Bert

Mar 31, 2018
The VRMs on CPU 1 should (probably should?) be pretty low height wise and have metallic tops. They're designed to dissipate heat through the metallic top and horizontally through the motherboard strata without the need for a heatsink. SM, and others, set up the VRMs of CPU 1 this way because in a rackmount configuration they get the cooler air (so don't have as much need for a heatsink) and to minimize disruption of the airflow to the rear of the case. The rearmost CPU's VRMs get a heatsink because the air is already heated by the time it gets to them, so additional dissipation surface is needed/helpful.

I didn't know this myself, and someone else on the forum explained it to me a couple years ago.

Cheers.
Ok this makes sense, I kind of guessed that as well. Intel motherboard had heatsinks on both VRMs so SM could have done that as well.

Since I am planning to use this in a case with different airflow characteristics, I may be better off if I can somehow add heatsink. I checked the SM website but couldn't find the original heatsink as a part. I assume something like this would work:

and glue them with this:

UhClem

just another Bozo on the bus
Jun 26, 2012
NH, USA
2. As expected, some of the screw holes were not aligned. I was able to get 8 out of 14 aligned so I am going with that. I am considering to put some plastic feet to prevent bending of the motherboard while installing cards/memory but I hope that 8 screws will hold the motherboard and expansion cards. I am not sure if anyone sees a big problem with that
These Adhesive Standoffs (.180" lift) should help. Or these (.120") for low-rise.
[Aside to @Bert : They re-stocked, so "public" :)]
Standoffs_Adhesive-2.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Bert

Bert

Mar 31, 2018
I have successfully installed the motherboard. I also installed a thunderbolt card which worked fine as this MB has the header for it. I put additional heatsinks on the VRM but I don't think it was necessary.

You need 11 expansion slot chassis to accommodate this motherboard; I had to move the power supply to to on my 10 expansion slot chassis. Extra spaces between slots are useful for better airflow on the regular cards as well.

Do not install the RST driver for this motherboard from SuperMicro. It messes up the system; probably not compatible with Windows 10. I learned this from hard way after corrupting my windows installation.

I am going to check what I can do in the BIOS to reduce start up times, if there is any suggestions here, please let me know.