Supermicro x10 Server Reading Power Consumption in IPMI?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Potion

Dec 29, 2019
Hey guys I have a home server with the following specs below and have issues reading the power consumption of this thing:

- supermicro SAS833TQ 3U chassis
- supermicro x10-DRL-i motherboard
- one E5 2630L v3 CPU
- 2 x 16gb RDIMMs
- 4 Drives Red WD (2 8tb and 2 4tb)
- IT mode flashed Dell LSI 9217-81i Controller
- 2x psu 1U Ablecom PWS-801-R

I run unraid and plex on this. I built the thing recently. There is a power consumption in the IPMI which never really updated. When building the server it didnt update (the reading is old). How do I get this thing working? It should update in real time or at least every 24 hours correct? Im not sure what PSU I have yet. I need to check in a bit when I can power down Unraid and the server all together.

Screenshot: Imgur

Edit: Updated the PSU models.

Last edited:

Potion

Dec 29, 2019
Is the cable from the pdb connected to the mainboard?
I updated the model of the PSU. Do you know what the cable looks like? I have the 3 main leads going to the motherboard, 1 4pin (according to doc below it is JPI2C) connected to the motherboard and 2 molex going to the backplane. Theres some others connectors coming from it that are not connected (looks like molex labeled PF, PG, PI, PJ) and another 4pin labeled PK also not connected.

Edit: This quicklook guide may help: https://www.supermicro.com/QuickRefs/motherboard/C600/QRG-1566.pdf

Last edited:

frogtech

Jan 4, 2016
The PDU cabling needs a PMBus (referred to as SMBus in your reference pdf) cable and the PSU must also support PMBus. You may need to refer to the Supermicro PSU matrix to find out if pmbus is supported on that unit and if the wiring of the PDU has the cable.

Last edited:

Potion

Dec 29, 2019
The PDU cabling needs a PMBus (referred to as SMBus in your reference pdf) cable and the PSU must also support PMBus. You may need to refer to the Supermicro PSU matrix to find out if pmbus is supported on that unit and if the wiring of the PDU has the cable.
Where can I find this matrix of supported PSU and PDU? Do all PDUs have this PMBus cable? I assume only specific PSUs do power metering.