Supermicro Workstation motherboard

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

teddyboy16

May 21, 2015
My PC is due for a complete overhaul. It's over four years old now and in need of a refresh. I've been looking at a Supermicro motherboard MBD-X10SRA-O with two Kingston DDR4 16GB ECC ram (KVR21R15D4/16). I like supermicro products and it looks like a decent workstation class motherboard to replace the socket 1156 ASUS P7F7-E workstation board I'm using now.

I'm a mechanical engineer, so I mostly use my PC for Solidworks, 3D modeling/sculpting and animation, FEA, Schematic capture and layout for simple double sided boards using Circuit Wizard and some gaming like Diablo and Warcraft. I do consult occasionaly, but it's mostly for personal use.

I'm going to start out with a Xeon 6 core 1.9ghz processor upgrading to more cores later on down the road. I'm going to use my existing workstation class AMD FirePro V5800 video card, Kinston SSDNow V100 SV100S2D 256gb dirve, and mid-tower Lian-Li PC-7FN ATX case. I'm trying to keep this reasonable in terms of cost. I think I'm on the right track. Is the memory I pick for the new board appropriate?

I want a motherboard that has plenty of slots for ram and pci-e slots for GPU rendering. I haven't bought anything yet, so I'm open to suggestions that anyone else might have.

I've been a long time lurker, so I finally decided to join. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: William