Supermicro UP 1U server with dual nvme advice

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

stuhad

Oct 9, 2016
Hi there,

I have a fairly specific requirement, and I'm struggling to find the answer to whether it is possible, so hopefully someone on here can lend me their wisdom and experience.

My work is looking to buy a new server, ideally they would like:
*1u chassis with enough drive bays for 2 sata ssds and 2 2.5" nvme ssds
*1 Xeon e5 cpu (might go with e3 if possible)
*64gb of Ram
*Dual port 10Gbase-t

We've been quoted dual Xeon e5 systems and been told that both CPUs need to be populated for the nvme to have enough pcie lanes... but the extra CPU seems overkill for what we need.

If anyone can give me any advice I'd be very grateful.

Sorry if this isn't in the right forum

Last edited:

chx

Dec 25, 2016
RAX XT10-1130V6-NVME

you need to add a dual 10gbit card. Otherwise, as far as can I see, it ticks everything on your list and it's cheap E3 based -- even with the added cost of the 10gbit it's cheap.

Very likely it's the X11SSL-nF motherboard in a 113MFAC2 chassis, both Supermicro. It's very hard to find it because Supermicro doesn't name the U.2 connector the proper name and also because it's not available as a readymade Superserver -- the reseller needs to put it together. But worry not, the chassis lists the motherboard so they are deemed compatible by Supermicro itself.

I checked the MB manual for you and it seems Supermicro did the right thing and the 16 PCIe lanes from the CPU is divided into 8 PCIe lanes to slot 6 and 8 PCIe lanes to the U.2 connectors (and the PCH is feeding Slot 4 and Slot 5 with lanes). So you actually have 20 Gbit available to you in the PCIe slot (well, you have 60 Gbit or so which is plenty for dual 10 -- you could even get dual 40 but see Does PCIe 3.0 x8 provide enough bandwidth for a dual QSFP 40Gbit NIC? before you do but I digress) and also the maximum amount for your NVMe disks.

Last edited:

( )

Jul 8, 2017
Hi there,

I have a fairly specific requirement, and I'm struggling to find the answer to whether it is possible, so hopefully someone on here can lend me their wisdom and experience.

My work is looking to buy a new server, ideally they would like:
*1u chassis with enough drive bays for 2 sata ssds and 2 2.5" nvme ssds
*1 Xeon e5 cpu (might go with e3 if possible)
*64gb of Ram
*Dual port 10Gbase-t

We've been quoted dual Xeon e5 systems and been told that both CPUs need to be populated for the nvme to have enough pcie lanes... but the extra CPU seems overkill for what we need.

If anyone can give me any advice I'd be very grateful.

Sorry if this isn't in the right forum
Find a Website with a 'Configurer': Supermicro 1U Server - Thinkmate - If you want SuperMicro and Hot-Swap 2.5" NVMe you can play with the Filters but I think you'll find that Dual Socket is the minimum Configuration (and 2 Chips are needed, both for PCIe Lanes and to enable all the Slots).

If you'd accept Dual M.2 NVMes there's the Gigabyte X170 MB: Gigabyte X170 Extreme ECC and Intel Xeon E3-1230 v5 - It accepts Server Memory, hope your Boss likes the color scheme. ;)