Supermicro Temp threshold

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

r4ptor

May 18, 2018
Im in need of some assistance in regards to the CPU temp threshold of my supermicro motherboards.

Useing the ipmitools on my linux laptop im trying to lower the CPU temp threshold. The issue is that the change is never acctually implemented.
Even though ipmitools says that the temp is changed, its actually never is.
Once the system is rebooted the old default values are back, but its only for the CPU temp threshold, every other threshold was changed correctly.

Has anyone experienced this before and is there a solution?

This issue is causing my case fans to only spin at 300rpm untill the CPU reaches 50C until they pick up speed to 500rpm instead. But 50C is for me to much, i want the fans to spin 100% when the cpu fan gets to 60C but now it looks like they only spin 100% when reaching the default CPU temp threshold of 104C.

MiniKnight

Mar 30, 2012
NYC
Maybe they SM support? It could be a firmware bug that's not saving and it'd help everyone if they fixed it. Did you try the newest ipmi firmware?

r4ptor

May 18, 2018
Ive spoken to them, 5 times now.
All they can say is: "Dont use third party fans, use our fans", "dont use third party ipmi software", "update your bios and firmware" etc.
Well the issue is on 3 different boards, x10, x11 and A2SDi so it cant be the bios or firmware bug, ive update firmware and bios just to be sure aswell.
One guy actually tried to help and said to try raw command which should work, but i dont know what that command should be, tried to google it but didnt find how it should be used.
Its the latest ipmi firmware in the linux repository, i even tried the latest ipmiutils on windows, but once the board is rebooted the default threshold is back.

r4ptor

May 18, 2018
https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?resources/supermicro-x9-x10-x11-fan-speed-control.20/

I believe this is a good place to start :) You should be able to modify the curve by lowering the upper threshold of 105C
That page is great, it says that the fan headers are controlled by the CPU temp and so, which is great, but its not what im looking for unfortunately, its not the fans or their mode that are the issue, its the sensor threshold.

I want to lower the critical temperature threshold of the CPU to half of the default value in order for the fans to gradually increase the speed until it hit 100% when the temp is 50C.
As it currently is, the fans start to increase when the CPU temp is 50% and will only go 100% when the temp is 104C which is way to hot.

If you do have the raw command to lower the threshold of the cpu temp that would be very appreciated.

r4ptor

May 18, 2018
this thread seems to be similar to what you're looking for - https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/setting-custom-ipmi-cpu-temp-thresholds.11092/
you can low the CPU temperature threshold as well, and fans should ramp PWM levels accordingly
Ive looked at that post earlier and the software says that the threshold for the cpu is changed, but they are never taken into effect, even though the new threshold is 50C and the temp is 55C the fans still only spins at 300rpm. In that moment they should go 100% but never does.
Also, once the system is rebooted the default value is restored back to 104C again.
This happens on 3 different boards aswell so its not an isolated case.

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
Are you sure that you modified the correct sensor?
When I played with the tresholds I accidentaly set lower treshholds for chassis fans instead of cpu fans :D

r4ptor

May 18, 2018
Are you sure that you modified the correct sensor?
When I played with the tresholds I accidentaly set lower treshholds for chassis fans instead of cpu fans :D
yes im sure :D, i used the following command:
ipmitool -h <ip> -u <user> -p <password> sensor thresh "CPU Temp" upper 40 50 60

Id did work for every other threshold but not the CPU.

as for the ipmiutil, the command is similar but i dont remember it.