Supermicro SYS-E300-8D

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

tenet

May 4, 2015
I fired it up today after installing the msata board. It took me a lot more than 90 seconds. I had to remove the entire fan assembly, disconnect the 12V power connector for the SSD before I could get the board out of the chassis. Roughly 10 minutes as I had to figure it out that first time. This is not as bad or as painful as the SC101-i case. I wasn't pleased when I discovered that the 60mm fan was chewing through the pico-psu that was right next to it. :mad:

I also took SPL measurements as I installed ESXi at 1m. Ambient office was 39DBa before powering up. It peaked at 61DBa and settled at 43.5DBa. All with the front of the case pointed at the SPL meter. The sides are mostly closed off, so I didn't bother to measure them. Rear of the case measured around 42DBa. I didn't take a peak measurement.

Navy_BOFH

Aug 2, 2013
This build is quickly becoming my favorite. The price of the server is outstanding for its capabilities and with an HBA and some sort of external enclosure I can easily run it as a NAS as well as pfSense and Windows Server 2012. You've sold me.

tenet

May 4, 2015
This build is quickly becoming my favorite. The price of the server is outstanding for its capabilities and with an HBA and some sort of external enclosure I can easily run it as a NAS as well as pfSense and Windows Server 2012. You've sold me.
Just keep in mind that at this time, we don't know what riser card works with this. I'm looking at this as a possibility, but haven't yet contacted SuperMicro about whether it will fit on the bracket.

@tenet - How are the temps on that 950 M.2 SSD when your system is off?
Off? I think the temperature would be at room temperature. As for what it is running at while on, I haven't loaded a OS that is compatible with Samsung's Magician software to check. There is sufficient airflow over the stick from one of the two fans, even with two SATADOMs in front of it, that I don't anticipate thermal throttling.

Netwerkz101

Dec 27, 2015
I know it's an odd question ... I installed an M.2 based SSD in that slot and it got warm with power off.
I have since placed the M.2 device back on the PCIe adapter card and it was barely even warm after being used a few days.

I am going to do a sanity check and try it again later this weekend.

BTW ... that looks like the riser I got ... exact one at The Egg:
SUPERMICRO RSC-RR1U-E8 Accessories-Newegg.com

Navy_BOFH

Aug 2, 2013
I know it's an odd question ... I installed an M.2 based SSD in that slot and it got warm with power off.
I have since placed the M.2 device back on the PCIe adapter card and it was barely even warm after being used a few days.

I am going to do a sanity check and try it again later this weekend.

BTW ... that looks like the riser I got ... exact one at The Egg:
SUPERMICRO RSC-RR1U-E8 Accessories-Newegg.com
So the riser does work in this chassis?

Worst comes to worst I would use the board in a different chassis but the complete system seems to be perfect.

Netwerkz101

Dec 27, 2015

Worst comes to worst I would use the board in a different chassis but the complete system seems to be perfect.
Sorry ... I don't have that chassis....
I have the X10SDV-TP8F motherboard in a Supermicro SC504-203B chassis:

The riser board comes in at about 8.5" long, but those white lines you see look like perforations
you can break off ..down to about 3.5".

Yes... I believe the problems you noted about that nice compact desktop case
would be alleviated with a standard 1u rackmount chassis.

tenet

May 4, 2015
I'll turn it off tonight and check in the morning.
@Netwerkz101: No need to question your sanity (it is likely lost anyways ;)), but I can confirm that the controller (chip closest to the connector) does get uncomfortably hot to the touch even when the server is ostensibly off. I believe the PCI-e standard continues to supply voltage to the bus, but haven't taken the time to confirm that belief.

Reactions: Netwerkz101

tenet

May 4, 2015
Sorry ... I don't have that chassis....
I have the X10SDV-TP8F motherboard in a Supermicro SC504-203B chassis:

The riser board comes in at about 8.5" long, but those white lines you see look like perforations
you can break off ..down to about 3.5".

Yes... I believe the problems you noted about that nice compact desktop case
would be alleviated with a standard 1u rackmount chassis.
I looked at the rackmount chassis version of this system (SYS-5018D-FN8T) as nearly everything else I have is rack mounted, but I never understood the benefit of having all the I/O ports facing the front. Particularly since all my wiring is in the back of the rack, which is largely self-contained and also sits on wheels, if I want to make changes.

tenet

May 4, 2015

I'm waiting on a friend to pull one out of a retired system to test the fit of the riser I mentioned. That may be a week or so.

Netwerkz101

Dec 27, 2015
Trying to clarify some things I said ....

I said I don't have that chassis (SYS-E300-8D), but
I use the same motherboard (X10SDV-TP8F) in a 1U Supermicro Chassis (SC504-203B).

I added the picture to show how the riser fits in my chassis.
In case the riser was too long, you can break off the end at the perforations.

@Netwerkz101: No need to question your sanity (it is likely lost anyways ;)), but I can confirm that the controller (chip closest to the connector) does get uncomfortably hot to the touch even when the server is ostensibly off. I believe the PCI-e standard continues to supply voltage to the bus, but haven't taken the time to confirm that belief.
Thank you for testing this .... and you are correct ... sanity is all but gone and senility has taken it's place ;)

I looked at the rackmount chassis version of this system (SYS-5018D-FN8T) as nearly everything else I have is rack mounted, but I never understood the benefit of having all the I/O ports facing the front. Particularly since all my wiring is in the back of the rack, which is largely self-contained and also sits on wheels, if I want to make changes.
I agree with your thought on having I/O coming out the front of the chassis - hated it!!

What I basically have is a piece-meal SYS-5018D-FN8T but with the I/O in the back (SC504-203B)
Same system ... different package

tenet

May 4, 2015
Well, it took a bit of time, but my friend finally provided me the riser board. I think it's an older revision, as there are fewer sections to snap off.

As you can see in the image, there are some real alignment issues.

Looking at the image I shared above from supermicro, it is clear to me that it won't fit on this bracket either. So, we are SOL until Supermicro shares a part number.

I'm also discovering that I've been spoiled with using virtualbox. There are things like moving VMs to other partitions that I can't do with the free version of ESXi. I guess my excitement to get ESXi running allowed me to gloss over that there is no web client or needing a managed version to move VMs between partitions. The solution to this is to move the physical folder via ssh, delete the VM in the vsphere client and create a new one using the old disk. Inelegant, klunky and a real turnoff for my first impression.

Reactions: Patrick

DMO

Jul 23, 2016
You can get the VMUG EVALExperience package for VMware for about $200., basically per year. You get a lot in this deal for that amount of $$.

There is also a "fling" that gets you a html 5 client. See labs.vmware.com.

Reactions: tenet

tenet

May 4, 2015
You can get the VMUG EVALExperience package for VMware for about $200., basically per year. You get a lot in this deal for that amount of $$.

There is also a "fling" that gets you a html 5 client. See labs.vmware.com.
Thanks for the tip on flings. The goal for my home lab is to not have recurring software costs right now as I'm still paying off the hardware costs.

BSDguy

Sep 22, 2014
Hi tenet

I'm about to purchase two of the Supermicro SYS-E200-8D to build a vSphere 6 cluster for my home lab using iSCSI as storage on my existing Supermicro server.

Can you comment a bit more on the noise levels of the E300 that the fans make? Is it quiet enough to run one or two of these servers in a home environment? I plan on running mine in the corner of my lounge and sit about 3 metres from that corner where all the home lab gear will live!

I'm also curious what the noise levels are like when the server is under load! Can't find any info about this online. Tinkertry have great videos but there isn't enough info/detail yet out about these little servers.

Great post BTW!

yuanlinios

Sep 10, 2016
I just have my 2 SYS-E300-8D setup done (ESXi 6U2). Those 40mm little fans are rather annoying: they are constantly at 6000-7000 RPM (~80% of full speed, CPU temperature around 50C) even ESXi is idle. Already got complains from my wife... Really appreciate it if someone can share experience in lowering the fan noise

BSDguy

Sep 22, 2014
I just have my 2 SYS-E300-8D setup done (ESXi 6U2). Those 40mm little fans are rather annoying: they are constantly at 6000-7000 RPM (~80% of full speed, CPU temperature around 50C) even ESXi is idle. Already got complains from my wife... Really appreciate it if someone can share experience in lowering the fan noise
You have just confirmed my worry about these little servers...the NOISE!

I am going to get the SYS-5028D-TN4T rather since it is a much quieter server (although it costs more than the E300-8D).

solaris12

Jul 3, 2013
You have just confirmed my worry about these little servers...the NOISE!

I am going to get the SYS-5028D-TN4T rather since it is a much quieter server (although it costs more than the E300-8D).
Maybe you can replace them with Noctua 40mm fans

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk