Supermicro SYS-5019S-TN4 Review with a Fast Embedded CPU

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

capn_pineapple

Aug 28, 2013
I kinda see where they're going with this... Large businesses with VDI implementations with small branch offices that require local capability... That said... Why you wouldn't implement a more powerful solution, I have no idea, especially considering the cash that would be available to be thrown around.

I do see it as a useful home setup though, I mean, I could use one as a plex transcoding server, or a couple of them for a fault tolerant docker/lxc implementation though I'm not sure about hardware transcoding support with the GPU as intel is still relatively new in that arena where AMD/nVidia clearly have the advantages of being supported.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Why such small RAM capacity? I can't see a 32GB 4c server as a virtualization option
Simple answer is it's target as a video conversion appliance or a machine to do upto 8 or so VDI users.

If you want virtualization then very much go today's E5 / scalable Xeon or for lighter use C3000 or Xeon-D.