Supermicro SuperStorage SSG-5029P-E1CTR12L 2U Storage Server Review

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

K D

Dec 24, 2016
I finally installed 3 of these in 216B chassis with one intel P3700 and one intel 750 in each. I still haven't installed an OS in these boxes. Just finished the hardware build, burn in, firmware updates etc.

The SSDs do run very hot to the touch. Once I get the whole thing running, depending on the temps, I may have to jury rig a fan to blow on it.

Reactions: _alex

edo1

Jul 28, 2016
The SSDs do run very hot to the touch. Once I get the whole thing running, depending on the temps, I may have to jury rig a fan to blow on it.
did you test temperature under load?

svtkobra7

Jan 2, 2017
Sorry to necro an old thread, but wanted to follow up and see if @K D (or anyone else for that matter), can throw some numbers at cooling NVMe in the MCP-220-82619-0N (which I'd like to add to my systems), please ...
Haven't had a chance to do that yet.
Below I've presented pics of the 12G drive kit (the backplane appears identical in terms of cutout for air flow) and I just don't see how the FAN-0126L4 (7000 RPM) / 72.5 CFM / 1.09 in H20 static pressure) @ Optimal Fan Mode [1] = ~4k RPM could possibly pass enough airflow over two NVMe drives. I could edit my script to control fan mode based upon temp of two NVMe drives, but anything more than Optimal = too loud.

Granted air flow is aided by fan shroud ...

This cutout provides enough air flow for two 18W - 25W NVMe drives ???

Further the engineering looks whack - it hits one at the top / one at the bottom of drive ...

[1] X9 Board Limitation / Fan Mode controlled via script in response to max HDD temp

Anybody out there with some drive temp numbers?

Also, what is the best way to connect the MCP-220-82619-0N (2 x Oculink) to an X9 board (would have to be via PCI AIC) ...

Thanks in advance!

EDIT - existing rear hdd kits are unpopulated, so I don't have a baseline to compare against ...

Last edited:

jcl333

May 28, 2011
I have a Supermicro 826 myself (SC826E16-R1200LPB being the exact model) which I have heavily modified: different backplane, different PSU, different fans, and adding a 2.5" SAS/SATA drive cage at the back (MCP-220–82609–0N) plus the respective rear window (MCP-240–82608–0N).

So when I read this article, I, like many others it seems, was intrigued by the NVMe drive cage at the back of the chassis, thinking about replacing my SAS/SATA one with it as I actually have a two Intel DC P3700s 1.6TB installed in my server. But besides the fact that it seems impossible to find over here, I thought about one aspect that tends to be overlooked when it comes to enterprise NVMe SSDs: they actually draw quite a bit of power and need proper cooling.

So unless you have truly excellent cooling (and hence, very high noise levels with just 3 x 80mm fans installed in the 826), putting two drives which consume more than 20W each (when writing data) in a small drive cage at the back of the chassis that hardly gets any airflow unless your chassis fans run at Ferrari-like RPMs (definitely not in my case) is probably not such a good idea.

I have an ATX board installed, the same Supermicro X11SPH-nCTF, and hence have quite a bit of space on the side of the board right next to the fans. As I have no intention to replace the brandnew board with an E-ATX one anytime soon, I used some double-sided tape to 'install' my DC P3700s there, connected to the OCULink ports of the board.

View attachment 6860

I know, I know, you're thinking 'how Ghetto'! But it actually works fine, both drives are properly cooled despite my slowed down fans and I don't really need them to be truly 'hot-plug' anyway, as they are used as redundant cache drives. Really love the Intel DC P3700s btw., ridiculously fast drives.
Hello bitrot,

I know this is an old thread, but I am seriously thinking of getting one of these and I was wondering if I could ask you a few questions? Thought I would ask first rather than just hit you with them.

Let me know

-JCL