Supermicro SuperServer 8048B-TR4FT startup

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

William

May 7, 2015
We now have this machine back from Supermicro and started it up for the first time today.
It came equipped with 4x E7-8870 V3 processors, 2.1GHz 18 cores each.
This gives this machine 72 cores / 144 threads.
Memory installed at this time is only at 128GB so it has a lot of room to grow to its max of 6TB.
We are just starting testing here and then to do the actual review of this machine.

But so far here is what we have on the SuperServer 8048B-TR4FT

Here is the task manager on first boot up.

And we have a few other pictures that I took of it when I first had the machine here.

William

May 7, 2015
Have broken a few benchmark WR's so far but they were quick and dirty, need to refine the setup more.

Reactions: Patrick

William

May 7, 2015
I think after this machine came out high density DDR4 sticks came out and it can be pushed to 12TB, not sure and I will have to check on that.
Either way that's a ton of RAM and very costly ! $$$'SSSS

ehorn

Jun 21, 2012
Incredible hardware, william. Sexy pics too...

What is the use case of something like this over say a commodity cluster though?

William

May 7, 2015
A home NAS ? ;)
kidding :)

Actually power draw and noise is not that bad, its nothing compared to the 8x GPU server I had here.

Reactions: ehorn

ehorn

Jun 21, 2012
Haha... Yes... And it will play crysis...

But seriously, who is a typical customer of such a beast?

William

May 7, 2015
I take that back... it just spooled up... it gets loud LOL

Big enterprise customers would use this... whole databases in RAM, sites like Newegg would run right out of RAM.
Plus the HPC/HFT guys love machines like this.

ehorn

Jun 21, 2012
I take that back... it just spooled up... it gets loud LOL

Big enterprise customers would use this... whole databases in RAM, sites like Newegg would run right out of RAM.
Plus the HPC/HFT guys love machines like this.
Fair enough. I guess my mindset is more scaleout In terms of compute and storage.

TuxDude

Sep 17, 2011
This is for things that don't easily scale out - like a transactional DB that needs to scale to a ridiculous size. Sometimes its cheaper to throw something like this at a problem than spend the time re-developing software to take advantage of scale-out architecture.

Biren78

Jan 16, 2013
Huh. So the numbers aren't even linear. a 3930k performs 1.1k and 4x of 8870 barely performed at 6.7k.
What is that one clocked at tho?

I wonder if it's an issue with Cinebench scaling with more threads?

What's the actual number? 6713 is the Cinebench world record

William

May 7, 2015
Yes that is a WR if I sent it over to the BOT, don't get me started on that LOL :)
Also a 3930K would be running on a enthusiast motherboard and a completely different chipset + overclockable. These E7-8870 V3 do not have those options and run at only 2.1GHz + turbo.

I am not sure if CB is linear tbh.

I can says this tho... the SSD I was using there was my just bring the system up disk, its been used a lot and running Server 2012 R2.
The guys that break the records like DJ uses Server 2008 R2 and a few other tweaks.
I have a feeling that if I were to tweak this all out I could break 7K on CB. I might do that if I have the time, but just for S&G's.

Reactions: Chuntzu

Patriot

Apr 18, 2011
Yes that is a WR if I sent it over to the BOT, don't get me started on that LOL :)
Also a 3930K would be running on a enthusiast motherboard and a completely different chipset + overclockable. These E7-8870 V3 do not have those options and run at only 2.1GHz + turbo.

I am not sure if CB is linear tbh.

I can says this tho... the SSD I was using there was my just bring the system up disk, its been used a lot and running Server 2012 R2.
The guys that break the records like DJ uses Server 2008 R2 and a few other tweaks.
I have a feeling that if I were to tweak this all out I could break 7K on CB. I might do that if I have the time, but just for S&G's.
If you sent it over to the bot, it would be DQed. Breaks the record using 2k8 r2 due to a timing bug in 8 and later that allows cheating on benches.

I had a WR in 11.5 till the E7 v2 launched lol...

I will have to take a stab at it with my quad E7-4890v2 rig.

William

May 7, 2015
I think there is a way to use 2012 R2, doesn't it need a program to show what ever it was they didn't like being disabled or something ?

The biggest problem is the use of ES chips and I "think" I would need to be in Pro Rankings to be able to use them. There was a time when I was all into LN2 and extreme stuff but I stopped all that years ago, for reasons. I would expect Massman to say no on this, just like I got no response from them when I tried to put up the 8x GPU WR. I am not in the cool kids bunch anymore so I get ignored ;)