supermicro sq power supply 1280w $59

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

PnoT

Mar 1, 2015
Texas
This guy's been selling them for a while and I was able to get them @ $50 BO. The only downside is you have to modify the PCB a bit to get them into the 846 and 826 chassis. It's pretty easy work thou with a dremel.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Could you elaborate on the modification?

Thanks

canta

Nov 26, 2014
just a friendly warning for that simple hack
never and never exceed to pull more than 1000W total...:D

I would assume no one in sth would pull 1000W total ........

pretty good deal thought

if I do not have 1000W gold PSU or need extra... 1280SQ on this thread is very good deal!!

Boddy

Oct 25, 2014
No international shipping :(
You can consider a 3rd party freight forwarding company in the USA like 'shipito' or 'myusa' where you can set up a virtual address in USA and they can forward items to you.

Consider which USA state you set up the address as some states now incur sales tax, (but it could also add 10% to the freight charge anyway going for a state that does not have sales tax compared with cheaper shipping like California). Especially when posting large items

I use 'shipito' and they are great, for few extra dollars I can add extra bubble wrap, security tape and fragile stickers. Freight charges can be cheaper than what is charged by some sellers on EBay. It's a bonus when EBay seller offers free postage to USA address, so no double postal costs.

You can also save money with consolidating several items with the one shipment.

It may not work for Newegg and sellers who ask for PayPal verified addresses.

I hope this helps

Morgan Simmons

Feb 18, 2015
So I tried to do the Best Offer, and could never get him down to 50$. Used up all three offers counteroffering, and now it won't let me buy it at all, or send him an email. Has anyone else run into this issue? I really don' want to have to pay double for it from someone else.

Last edited:

Marsh

May 12, 2013
Contact the seller via Ask a question.
Asked the seller to invoice you with his price.

canta

Nov 26, 2014
So I tried to do the Best Offer, and could never get him down to 50$. Used up all three offers counteroffering, and now it won't let me buy it at all, or send him an email. Has anyone else run into this issue? I really don' want to have to pay double for it from someone else.
I did :D due on try to get lower price when not in a rush to get parts :D

contact the seller that you will get $50, let the seller decide to do

or use your wife ebay account to buy hahaha, quick solution

Morgan Simmons

Feb 18, 2015
I did :D due on try to get lower price when not in a rush to get parts :D

contact the seller that you will get $50, let the seller decide to do

or use your wife ebay account to buy hahaha, quick solution
Seller never emailed me back, but my wife setup an ebay acct and bought it for me. I think she's tired of the screaming power supply noise too.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Mine aren't as quiet as I hoped they would be. Noise isn't high pitched like a gas turbine, it's more of a droning sound and it is quite loud. Both of them do it so it's probably normal.

Morgan Simmons

Feb 18, 2015
Mine aren't as quiet as I hoped they would be. Noise isn't high pitched like a gas turbine, it's more of a droning sound and it is quite loud. Both of them do it so it's probably normal.
That's disappointing. I'm hoping that you have a bad batch. My 960w SQ is nearly silent.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
That would be some rotten luck. Too late to send them back now.

canta

Nov 26, 2014
That's disappointing. I'm hoping that you have a bad batch. My 960w SQ is nearly silent.
that 1280W SQ has higher rpm fans :p....
more noise tha 960W SQ that has lower RPM fans.

my 500W platinum is quite :p, single lower RPM fans :D....

canta

Nov 26, 2014
That would be some rotten luck. Too late to send them back now.
500W or 700W platinum is quite!! well compare with 920W SQ :D

rule of thumb... get less 1000W,and max load is 25%. the fan will spinning in low rpm, and create faint humming noise.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Had a chance this afternoon to explore the noise issue with these. I'm convinced the noise is normal. Both PSU's sound the same and it's not a "sounds like something's wrong" sound. It's not a high pitched sound, it kinda sounds like it's coming out of a tunnel if that makes any sense. It is quite loud and hard to ignore. Fan speed is reported at 1312 rpm which is on the low side. I guess these are different beasts.

Morgan Simmons

Feb 18, 2015
I just got mine in and I don't have the loud droning noise you are reporting. It's a really soft hum. I'm using around 360w of the 1250 available. (dual node supermicro 2u)
VERY HAPPY.

Marsh