supermicro server psu

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.
Status
Not open for further replies.

regatus

Jul 13, 2013
Germany
hi all.

i have a Supermicro 846TQ-R900B with the included psu PWS-902-1R and the pdb PDB-PT846-8824.

the system fans are controlled by pwm, but those redundant power supplies are really loud. i'm looking for a way to fix that.

i've already read the "Supermicro noise levels" thread and the PWS-920P-SQ should be quieter. but replacing 2 psu and probably the pdb (23pin vs. 24pin) is not cheap.

is there a more cost effective solution?

TangoWhiskey9

Jun 28, 2013
Maybe try finding the power supplies on ebay? Good question though. That'd be great if it worked.

MikeC

Apr 27, 2013
UK
Maybe try finding the power supplies on ebay? Good question though. That'd be great if it worked.

As a guide, I’ve got a couple of Supermicro 1u servers Supermicro | Products | SuperServers | 1U | 5017C-MTF,

and I’m also in the process of building a server using this case Supermicro | Products | Chassis | 3U | SC836E26-R1200B

The 1u servers are fairly quiet after the initial spin up of the fans at power on. I’ve powered up the redundant PSUs in the 3u case using a PSU tester as the load as I’m still waiting for the CPU to arrive and the PSUs are virtually inaudible once they have settled down. The common thing across all these PSUs is that they are all 80+ gold certified, so that would seem to be your goal in your search for quiet PSUs!

regatus

Jul 13, 2013
Germany
the information about the 80+ gold psu is very helpfull. thanks.
i've already looked at the psu matrix, but it's not 100% clear, what psu will work with my PDB.

MikeC

Apr 27, 2013
UK
A search of the Supermicro site dor your PDU returns five cases which use it, two of which have 80+ gold certified PSUs.

Super Micro Computer, Inc. - Products | Chassis | 4U | SC846TQ-R1200B
Super Micro Computer, Inc. - Products | Chassis | 4U | SC846A-R1200B

In both cases this is the PWS-1K21P-1R which is the same one as is used in my 3u case.
I found a matched pair on eBay for $219.95

Matched Pair Of: SuperMicro PWS-1K21P-1R 1200 Watt Server Power Supplies | eBay

That would seem to be the option if you decide to go for replacement PSUs.

regatus

Jul 13, 2013
Germany
ok. after looking at the standard parts list of different sc846 chassis, my conclusion is:

* PWS-*P-SQ (platinum) need a PDB-PT846-2824 , and
* PWS-1K21P-1R (gold) should with my PDB-PT846-8824

after reading a newegg comment:
* PWS-920P-1R (platinum) might be working with my PDB-PT846-8824

regatus

Jul 13, 2013
Germany
@MikeC: wrote my reply while researching and didn't see your answer ;)

unfortunately, this ebay offer doesn't ship to germany, but finding a reseller should be quiet easy. finding the right product wasn't. thank you very much for your help.

MikeC

Apr 27, 2013
UK

unfortunately, this ebay offer doesn't ship to germany, but finding a reseller should be quiet easy. finding the right product wasn't. thank you very much for your help.
No problem - glad to help!

s0lid

Feb 25, 2013
Tampere, Finland

Happyware sells supermicro psus in germany atleast :)

Status
Not open for further replies.