Supermicro Server Issues

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Spyderturbo007

Jun 2, 2020
Hi everyone. I'm hoping someone can help me with some issues I'm experiencing. I just purchased a Supermicro 4U 36 bay server with these specs"

H8DGU-F Motherboard
LSI 9211-8i (I was told it's flashed in IT mode)
BPN-SAS2-846EL1 (24 port)
BPN-SAS2-826EL1 (12 port)
16GB DDR3 Memory
AMD 6212 Processor

I'm migrating my unRAID OS and drives over to the new chassis, but I'm having some really weird issues. This forum seems to keep turning up in my searches, so I thought I'd post here.

I edited the BIOS and disabled everything except my flash drive containing my OS. The server booted without issue. I then installed all of my drives, however, it wouldn't boot to the flash drive and I would receive a "Reboot and select proper boot device....".

I noticed that two of the drive activity lights would come on when the server was turned on, one of which would go out in about 10s (WD Drive) and the other (Seagate) would stay solid. I removed the drive with the solid light and the system booted to the flash drive. I thought it might be a backplane issue, so I installed the Seagate in a new slot and it wouldn't boot.

Just for fun, I pulled the WD and installed the Seagate and it boots, but the drive activity light stays lit for the Seagate.

For some reason, it won't allow me to boot to the flash drive if both the Seagate and WD drives are installed. If I pull either drive, it boots.

Seagate ST3000DM001
WD WD60EFRX

The other weird thing is that I have 2 other ST3000DM001 drives and they are fine and don't cause the activity light to stay solid.

Any idea why this thing won't boot to the flash drive with those two drives installed?

Spyderturbo007

Jun 2, 2020
I think I figured it out. There must be some BIOS bug that keeps it from booting to a flash drive with more than 12 drives installed.

I had to go into the SAS configuration utility and disable BIOS management of the card. Now it boots to the USB drive with more than 12 drives.

I still don’t have any idea why the one light stays lit for the one Seagate drive though.