Supermicro server front bezels with filters?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
I happen to have picked up a Supermicro 836 that included the front bezel and found out that the front bezel has a filter that is removable. I didn't see this on the 846 front bezel. Are there other Supermicro server front bezels that include a removable filter like the 836?

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
They have filters in the bezel?
This would help with dust, but also reduce airflow and you won't see the hdd leds...

BLinux

Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
They have filters in the bezel?
This would help with dust, but also reduce airflow and you won't see the hdd leds...
lol.. i don't really care to see the hdd leds. reduce airflow; yes some what... but if it makes it easy to prevent dust build up (which would reduce airflow anyway), then I'm all for it...

the 836 bezel has filter, the 846 doesn't apparently... i haven't seen the others... just wondering if other people knew if they have filters or not?

BLinux

Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
to partially answer my own question, i found this photo of the backside of the front bezel for a Supermicro 826 chassis. (this front bezel is not the same as for the 825 chassis)

supermicro-826-front-bezel.jpg

as can be seen, there's a fine "mesh" filter that is fixed to the inside of the 826 front bezel. it appears to be removable just like the 836 front bezel.

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
Google brought me here again :D

The 2u and 3u chassis have bezels with a "mesh" filter, the 4u versions do not.

BLinux

Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
Google brought me here again :D

The 2u and 3u chassis have bezels with a "mesh" filter, the 4u versions do not.
LOL.. welcome back! I've been using the front bezel with the mesh... I find that I need to clean it out every 6 months at the least and there's significant dust build up on it. So, it's definitely doing the job. It's not a perfect seal though, so there's some dust build up on the HDD drays around the edges.

For the 846 bezel that doesn't have the mesh, I cut some A/C air filters to size and put it inside the bezel and it works, but are not washable.

Reactions: itronin