Supermicro SCU RAID

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

James Harding

Mar 10, 2020
hardingconcepts.com
I think I just learned the hard way :(

Can someone point to more detailed information about the storage control unit on the X9dr3-ln4f+, I can’t seem to find too much info out there.

I think I’m coming to the realization that the interface this provides is a software RAID. I made a few managed arrays using the UI presented during boot. Then loaded ESXi and tried to make a data store. Unfortunately ESXi sees the individual disks :(

Please someone tell me I am wrong!

James Harding

Mar 10, 2020
hardingconcepts.com
@StevenDTX Ok, I am back... Before you had mentioned the 9260, I had already purchased a 9211. The server is up and running beautifully. I have ESXi 6.7 running and 6 vms running just the way I want. Then I realized, what if the RAID array starts to fail?!?!!? how would I ever know???

Poking around in ESXi, I found the Monitor->Hardware->Storage tab. At first this said the CIMBroker isnt running, so I started it. Then it said something about needing a CIM provider, so I dug through all the broadcom webpages to find what I thought was correct. I have attached a screen shot of the current state of my hardware storage monitoring situation. Has anyone been able to get the LSI 9211-8i to work with ESXi 6.7? Did I once again screw up ordering a slightly older card?

Attachments

StevenDTX

Aug 17, 2016
Getting the CIM stuff working correctly for the LSI cards is tricky. You just have to keep trying various drivers/firmware/providers/etc.