Supermicro SC847 Fan Choices

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

K D

Dec 24, 2016
The noise is definitely annoying. I was running the fans at 50% before I replaced them. My Primary runs all 5400RPM drives and is not full so the 104L4 running at full speed was sufficient. My backup runs a mix of 7200rpm and 5400rpm drives and has all 24bays filled. the 104L4 was not sufficient for that. I use the 74L4s in that chassis. I try to keep the drives between 30-35 deg.

bwfan

Feb 10, 2018
The noise is definitely annoying. I was running the fans at 50% before I replaced them. My Primary runs all 5400RPM drives and is not full so the 104L4 running at full speed was sufficient. My backup runs a mix of 7200rpm and 5400rpm drives and has all 24bays filled. the 104L4 was not sufficient for that. I use the 74L4s in that chassis. I try to keep the drives between 30-35 deg.
My plan is to run 5400rpm drives (WD reds) x 24. Would the 74L4s be good enough on all fans front x 3 and rear x 2? Just running a opteron 2.4 single cpu as it's a media storage server for Plex.

Plan is to invest in the PW-920P-SQ power supplies to knock down the noise even more. What PSU do you use KD?

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Timmons

Mar 9, 2023
I see this thread is pretty old but since it's dealing with what I'm trying to do figured it was worth a shot to ask. I'm replacing the loud fans on my SC847 with the 104L4's and it's showing in the IBMI as not present without any RPM. Has anyone run into this before? How do I get the IPMI to pick it up? Right now I've just one of the 104L4 in the server the reset are still the loud factory ones. I stopped when I saw it was not detecting it and to pick up over weekend with a proper saw to cut the enclosures (used scissors on the first one).

gseeley

Mar 3, 2018
I tried that by following this: Nutanix Support & Insights

Also did BMC Cold Reset via the android app.

And I turned off the server completely and unplugged the power cables. Still not present on the fan.
You can delete the SDR records and then reset the BMC and it should recreate them.

See FAQ Entry | Online Support | Support - Super Micro Computer, Inc.

Or you can just re-flash the BMC and uncheck the "preserve configuration" boxes to reset all the dynamic data and that should get all the default sensor records and thresholds back.