SuperMicro SC846 help with power on

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

SRussell

Oct 7, 2019
US
I have a SuperMicro SC846, SASEL1 backplane, 1000W Gold power supply. Using a X10SRL-F motherboard.

I had the motherboard in an SC216 running successfully. When I moved the board to the SC846, plugged the unit in, the fans spun up to I would guess an idle rate, but no front panel lights are active. Pressing the power button does nothing, depressing the button for 10 seconds does not fully power the unit off, both power supplies light up green. I can successfully log into the IPMI interface but can not power on the unit from the webpage.

Are there any steps I can follow to determine if the front panel is defective or anything else I should try?

StevenDTX

Aug 17, 2016
you can disconnect the 16 or 20 pin connector front panel cable from the motherboard and try shorting pins 1-2. But it should power on from IPMI.

Are you sure you have all the correct motherboard power connectors seated properly?

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
May be a dumb question, but is the Front panel connector from the case on in the right direction?

I ask because I got my SM Chassis used, so the front panel connector ribbon had been bent for a few years in the correct orientation for the motherboard it used to have in it. It lined up with my X9's Front panel connector just fine. BUT, in my case with my X9 motherboard, Pin #1 is toward the Front of the case. With your motherboard, Pin #1 seems to be facing the back side of the case, so I'd have had to bend it around with an extra fold in it to make it fit for that X10 after an X9 was in there. Hope that makes sense?