Supermicro SC826 power supply question

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Blue)(Fusion

Mar 1, 2017
Chicago
Hey folks. First post here and new to Supermicro hardware and fairly new to enterprise hardware in general.

I currently have a SC826TQ-R800LPB SuperChassis which I got from eBay.

I am looking to make it a bit quieter. The 3 cooling fans are pretty quiet when the system is near idle (90% of the time) but the 800 watt power supplies are just too loud for an idling server, plus I believe these are not very efficient as compared to the Platinum series available.

Can I directly replace these power supplies with another model without further modification? For example, the PWS-920P-SQ sounds like something I'm interested in if it's a direct swap.

Additionally, I'd like to keep it above 600 watt power supplies at minimum. I am running dual X5680s, max number of RDIMMs, 10Gbit, and 12 HDDs.

sporker

Jan 24, 2017
Canada
The 920p-SQ should be a direct swap for you. Your case has the PDB-PT825-8824 power distribution board. The -8824 one should be compatible with the 920p-SQ. I've just gone through a similar exercise with an 846 case which came with 900w screamers. There was a thread here that listed the differences in the power distribution boards, I will see if I can find it.

Blue)(Fusion

Mar 1, 2017
Chicago
Awesome news! Since the prices are pretty outrageous for the SQ power supplies, how do the PWS-920P-1R compare in noise? I take it these are also a direct fit.