Supermicro SC216 Chassis

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

maxermaxer

Oct 28, 2016
Looking for help here. I own a SC216 chassis and the PDB is pdb pt216 8824 which is quite expensive on eBay (USD 50 or so). Does anyone know what other PDB with cheaper price I can use to work in this chassis and also the PSU which is Supermicro PWS 1K21P 1R? Many thanks in advance!

I am also open for changing the PDB and PSU together if they both can fit into this SC216 chassis.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nthu9280

Feb 3, 2016
San Antonio, TX
If you don't need the capacity of 1200 w, SMCI power supplies <= 920w should work with your PDB.
PDBs for sm 825, 826, 216, 836 and 213 "should" be compatible with some caveats. Search for posts by @sfbayzfs and @StammesOpfer on the forum.

I went with 700w (don't recall the exact part#) they are not SQ but much quieter than the chassis fans :)

If you want to replace the PDB, but keep the Power supply, look for 23 pair vs common 19 pair. You can even count the pins in the eBay listing pics. One gotcha is that there are different revs of PDBs and compatibility with your chassis could be an issue.

Hope this is clear as mud :)

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

StammesOpfer

Mar 15, 2016
So I do have a spare PDB-PT216-8824. I could probably go a little lower than Ebay but not by much considering that $50 includes shipping. I also have a couple different power supplies that I could package with it if interested. PM me we may be able to work something out.

maxermaxer

Oct 28, 2016
If you don't need the capacity of 1200 w, SMCI power supplies <= 920w should work with your PDB.
PDBs for sm 825, 826, 216, 836 and 213 "should" be compatible with some caveats. Search for posts by @sfbayzfs and @StammesOpfer on the forum.

I went with 700w (don't recall the exact part#) they are not SQ but much quieter than the chassis fans [emoji4]

If you want to replace the PDB, but keep the Power supply, look for 23 pair vs common 19 pair. You can even count the pins in the eBay listing pics. One gotcha is that there are different revs of PDBs and compatibility with your chassis could be an issue.

Hope this is clear as mud [emoji4]

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Thanks! That’s very helpful. I will check out the details of these PDB you mentioned.

maxermaxer

Oct 28, 2016
So I do have a spare PDB-PT216-8824. I could probably go a little lower than Ebay but not by much considering that $50 includes shipping. I also have a couple different power supplies that I could package with it if interested. PM me we may be able to work something out.
Thanks! Let me do some research first. Let me come back to you later.

sfbayzfs

May 6, 2015
SF Bay area
Late to the party here, but actually, the 1K21P-1R PSUs you are talking about have the regular narrow connector, so they should work fine with the stock PDB in your chassis. (or in any other 2?6 8?6 or 8?7 chassis) Early production of them did not have the 80+ gold label on them, but they are 80+ gold, and I have never seen one with a wide connector.

The 1K28P-SQ is the model which moves up to the wider high power connector, and would require an upgraded PDB or mod to the PDB or PSU.