Supermicro Rail Screws

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

The Gecko

Jan 4, 2015
I bought some of the Supermicro MCP-290-00053-0N Quick Rail Set for Chassis SC213/216/823M/825/825M/826/835/836/846/847/936/etc... used. They are all Revision B and did not come with screws. Everything fits well, but the self-locking tabs on the inner rails are bent outward a little, and while pulling the server out of the rack, I have to be careful or the server will leap off the inner rail. This can be solved by using a single screw to bind the inner rail onto the chassis.

Based upon this Ebay auction, the proper product to purchase is MCP-410-00007-0N. This bag is $15 and I only require two of the screws: flat head M4x6. I took a look on Ebay to see if there is a cheaper option. All of the screws up for sale are countersunk and have a head that sticks out a lot. I believe the Supermicro screws are mostly flat on the top and bottom of the head, except for the very outer portion that is countersunk to grab on to the very thin rails. Think "pancake" style.

Can someone confirm/deny if traditional M4x6 countersunk screws will work to hold on the inner rail and not get snagged by the outer rail mechanism?

Last edited:

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Most of mine don't have the screw. the spring steel clip holds the inner rail in place. The screw is flush with the inner. I think it would hit something in the outer rail if it didn't. I have a 1u chassis that is missing the screws and the spring clip was mangled. I twisted and broke the clip off since there's no way to make it functional once it gets bent. Now I have to make sure and hold on the the rail when installing or removing the server from the rack. Yea, $15 is a bit much to pay for one or two screws. I have it on my list to remove one of the servers that have the screws and measure them. I bet the local hardware store has them.

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
I know this is an old post. Needed 2 screws and got a pack of -M4 machine screws from Home Depot for 40cents instead of ordering a screw kit for $14.

Thanks.
and they worked? if so, can you post the manufacturer and part number?

K D

Dec 24, 2016
Yes. They worked. I don't have the part number. Look for M4 6mm screws. You get both flat type as well as the one with the tapered head. Home Depot sells metric screws in small plastic bags of 3 for 60cents.

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
i went out and bought some of these M4 x 6mm screws today for my Supermicro 846. they do indeed work. for future reference, here are the details:

M4-0.7mm thread x 6mm length, flat head phillips, machine screw, stainless steel
Brand: Everbilt
P/N: 571 939
UPC: 87480-43718

they came in little bags of qty=2 each, and were $0.55 per bag, at least as of this posting date.

I don't know what the "original" screws looked like, but the countersunk head does seem like it isn't shallow enough or isn't exactly the right shape. However, it doesn't in any way hinder the function of the rails and does indeed function to hold the rail in place; the outer rail slides back and forth with ease and without obstruction.

Morpheus187

May 8, 2017
I had to secure the rack rails with screws too. At first I thought it would go without it, but when I slid in the server the rail flexed a bit and the rail "derailed" and my server fell down. Luckily it wedged and I could slowly pull it out again without any damage. I just took some random screws I found to fixate the rails so that they don't move, the whole assembly is still a bit wonky, especially when you pull the server out, but the rails don't derail now.

Reactions: nikalai

rnavarro

Feb 14, 2013
i went out and bought some of these M4 x 6mm screws today for my Supermicro 846. they do indeed work. for future reference, here are the details:

M4-0.7mm thread x 6mm length, flat head phillips, machine screw, stainless steel
Brand: Everbilt
P/N: 571 939
UPC: 87480-43718

they came in little bags of qty=2 each, and were $0.55 per bag, at least as of this posting date.

I don't know what the "original" screws looked like, but the countersunk head does seem like it isn't shallow enough or isn't exactly the right shape. However, it doesn't in any way hinder the function of the rails and does indeed function to hold the rail in place; the outer rail slides back and forth with ease and without obstruction.
Awesome! Thanks so much these totally worked!

Reactions: BLinux and nikalai