Supermicro power supply questions

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

azev

Jan 18, 2013
Just realized one of my older supermicro chassis 836 has a dual PWS-801-1R which doesn't support pmbus.
I have a bunch of supermicro power supply that I'd like to replace it with but I am abit nervous because the connector looks slightly different.

Do you know if I can safely replace this power supply with PWS-1K21P-1R ? or PWS-741P-1R ?

azev

Jan 18, 2013
Most likely need to swap to the later Power Distribution Board :)
is it safe to try and see if the old PDB will support these newer Power supply ?? I mean it isnt going to blow up on me or destroy any component if I insert the new power supply and power them on ?

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
I wouldn't think it would fit if the connector is different, trying to force it in may well physically damage something if not electrically :)

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
If it doesn't fit you'll feel a blockade - then don't force it in obviously;)
If it fits it should work - no harm in trying.

Reactions: azev

K D

Dec 24, 2016
You should be able to visually compare the connector in your new and old power supplies. If the connectors are the same then it will work. if not then try to insert it in the pdb. If it is compatible it should go in without applying force.

Reactions: azev

azev

Jan 18, 2013
IMG_0630.jpg
Looking at them now, the physical dimension of the connector are the same but, there's some difference in how the gold connector are laid out.

The old power supply are the one on the left, and the newer PS are the one on the right.

Last edited: