Supermicro PDB & PSU Compatibility?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

RCS

Jul 27, 2018
Is there anyway to find out what Supermicro PSU's work with specific PDB's? I can't seem to find any documentation from Supermicro, and am not seeing any threads here.

Specifically looking for a compatibility list for a PDB-PT416-8824

Thanks for any help.

RCS

Jul 27, 2018
Thanks for your reply.

Is it just a matter of verifying that the PSU (pin layout) physically fits?

I actually have PSU's for the PDB right now, but they're cheap gold rated units and I'm looking for something a little more efficient/quieter.

nthu9280

Feb 3, 2016
San Antonio, TX
Check this link for the power supplies. For some reason the link provided by @Rand__ did not work for me. The power supply physical sizes varies also. The more common PWS-920P-SQ / compatible ones etc are 336mm x 76mm x 40mm.

The other factor is the edge connector size. either 19 pair (narrow) or 23 pair (Wide). PWS-1K28P-SQ has a wide connector. Wide PDB is compatible with both PSUs. I'm guessing the PDB in your chassis is wide. Check your chassis docs to confirm

Super Micro Computer, Inc. - Support | Power Supply Matrix

RCS

Jul 27, 2018
I'm not entirely sure I understand what you mean by 19 (narrow) and 23 (wide).

My Chassis manual says nothing about the PDB, but from what I can see on eBay, its a 19 pair PDB (that's what's listed in descriptions)

I'm currently using a pair of PWS-1K41P-1R with the PDB. They look like this:

I'd like to use a pair of PWS-1K62P-1R, but the gold connections looks slightly different (Assuming this is a "wide" connector and cannot be used with my PDB...)

Thank you!

nthu9280

Feb 3, 2016
San Antonio, TX
You got the gist of what I was trying to convey. Basically, the PDB with wide connector is compatible with both narrow & wide PSUs.
I don't know if the edge connector on the 1400W PSU you have is Narrow or Wide.
The eBay listings will say 23 pair. The more common ones are 19 pair and they won't work with larger PSUs

Falloutboy

Oct 23, 2011
Sorry to pull a Necro thread but I have to ask a question with regards to the PWS-1K62P-1R as that is what my CSE-848 Chassis uses, I have another supply which is a PWS-1K28P-SQ, it appears to fit in the 848 Chassis but is about 1/2 an inch short but it does slot into place, I am trying to figure out if I can use this supply in the chassis in place of the PWS-1K62P-1R, it will only be powering disks and either an X9DR3-LN4F+ or an X10DRX - have not decided yet.

I tried checking out the links provided but I couldn't find the PWS1K62P-1R but if the PWS-1K28P-SQ is compatable with the PDB it should be all good. Can some one clue me in. I counted the connections if it helps 10 on the top side 8 underneeth not counting the big connector so 19 or 20 pins total if the large gold section is counted as one or two respectively.

I found a picture of the connector for the PWS1K62P-1R Here
And a picture of the connector for the PWS-1K28P-SQ Here

I believe they are both narrow is that the case?

metag

Apr 26, 2016
Both of them should be wide. I have both a wide connector PSU (the 1K28P-SQ) and a narrow one (801-1R). I stacked them together and took a picture for you. The top one is the SQ.
20201007_1116442q.jpg

Reactions: dontwanna