Supermicro on eBay - what's up with the prices?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Arthur Krewat

Apr 29, 2016
All of a sudden, Supermicro enclosures have gotten scarce and expensive. I bought a 836TQ in December, and it was under $300 w/shipping.

Now, I can't find anything even close, and all the rest of them are brand-new.

What happened, some huge datacenter cycled all their hardware and the eBay resellers finally ran out of them?

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Most 836, 216, 846 from SM on ebay are from at-least 2 generations ago if not 3 or 4.

I've been watching 846 and they've almost doubled in current months vs. last summer, and before, etc...

Let us hope we see another wave with SAS2, and this time SAS3 backplanes ;) Lol!! fingers crossed

Arthur Krewat

Apr 29, 2016
I'm looking for another 16-bay (or larger) TQ backplane cabinet. I can run 6Gbps SAS through it. I have enough Dell servers to choose from at work as they are end-of-lifed. But any of the disk cabinets that are available are all for the birds. Either 2.5" drives, or Dell MD1000's which are basically a single narrow SAS 3Gbps to each half. Worthless for performance, actually.

Guess I just need to wait until something comes up on eBay again...

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Don't get me wrong, DEALS are still there but you're not going to find 100 in stock at a low price from the same seller... at-least not like we have been.