Supermicro noise levels

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

ChrisRam

Dec 28, 2013
I have the 36-bay version of that case and replaced all of the 80mm fans with 92mm fans from Noctua. The base systems are designed to run under load 24/7 with HDDs crunching data the whole time. My system is a NAS that will run idle 22/7 with a mix of consumer SSDs and NAS rated HDDs. I also ditched the passive coolers and installed Noctua NH-L12 coolers with only the 80mm fan on the bottom. The fits are arranged so air can pass through them on the way out of the case.

The processors are E5 Ivy Bridge 8-core chips that run around 2.3GHz. I forget the model number. There are 5 Avago 9300-8i HBAs and a single Supermicro Fortville-based dual 40GbE NIC.

The system has been up for a few days and survived the initial transfer of 40TB of data.

Kenneth

Oct 1, 2014
I have the 36-bay version of that case and replaced all of the 80mm fans with 92mm fans from Noctua. The base systems are designed to run under load 24/7 with HDDs crunching data the whole time. My system is a NAS that will run idle 22/7 with a mix of consumer SSDs and NAS rated HDDs. I also ditched the passive coolers and installed Noctua NH-L12 coolers with only the 80mm fan on the bottom. The fits are arranged so air can pass through them on the way out of the case.

The processors are E5 Ivy Bridge 8-core chips that run around 2.3GHz. I forget the model number. There are 5 Avago 9300-8i HBAs and a single Supermicro Fortville-based dual 40GbE NIC.

The system has been up for a few days and survived the initial transfer of 40TB of data.
Very interesting. How did you fit the 92 mm fans in the system and how many were you able to install?

I myself bought a 36-bay Supermicro chassis which has been up and running for a few weeks now. I also have a bunch of Noctua fans (80mm though) that I will try installing. I wanted to get a baseline on temperatures, noise, etc. with stock fans first, though.

ChrisRam

Dec 28, 2013
After you guys brought it up I went over and turned off my Mellanox and Supermicro switches and the PSU fans are pretty loud. I think I'm just getting used to hearing them. My office is pretty large, it's actually in the middle of being divided into an office and a home theater on the other side by the drywall isn't up yet.

I was able to replace all 7 of the SM 80mm fans with 92mm Noctua fans. I didn't need to increase the diameter of the holes, there was only around 2mm of metal obstructing the holes at the sides of the fans. The fan blades were the exact size of the holes provided by Supermicro.

After you take out the two cross panels with the fans and the fan cages, both panels give you a place to state. One has a stamped area that is lifted for and matches up with 80mm fans. Drill right in the middle of one, then use the Nexus adapter to make both 80mm and 92mm fan mount holes. the other had a hole on the far side for an 80mm fan to center perfectly. After you get the first 80mm holes drilled you can draw a straight line across the bottom and top. Use something to measure and check that everything is straight. Then drill baby drill.

Reactions: Mirabis

kapee94

Jun 12, 2016
Did you update the Power Supply on the 847 to reduce the noise levels as well? I have an older 846 (24 bay) which I had successfully moded to remove the supermicro redundant power supplies and install a quitter one, along with a 6 fan controller to make it almost silent during running. I am running out of space so was wondering if any of you have moded the 36 bay server to gut out the original power supplies with a silent standard power supply and a fan controller... if so please let me know....