SUPERMICRO MOTHERBOARD X9DRi-LN4F+ Rev 1.10 Dual Socket LGA 2011 R

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

james23

Nov 18, 2014
wow is this a helpful thread! would either of you all mind listing the ram type that SM used for their testing (the ram on that test report sheet they gave post rma) ?
(i want to get THAT ram, as im about to be 3x x9dr3-ln4f boards deep with major ram issues ( all 3x rev 1.10 , on hand i have 2x sets of QVL / tested memory + 1 set non QVL but same) all around me :( thanks (i realize yours are x9dri vs my x9dr3 but they are very similar)

btw; if u want to be bored to death here is my thread of ram issues im refering to (and i can FW my now 26 page testing notes, if your a real sadist)
https://forums.servethehome.com/ind...-with-just-2-slots-unless-lock-to-1066.20413/

Reactions: chraac

svtkobra7

Jan 2, 2017
would either of you all mind listing the ram type that SM used for their testing (the ram on that test report sheet they gave post rma) ?
Here is what mine listed:
  • Memory Vendor: PH M393B1K70DH0-CH9 1214
  • Memory Size: 8GB
  • Number of Modules: 24
[EDIT: Value for memory vendor corrected (letter "O" was swapped for number "0")]

Last edited:

james23

Nov 18, 2014
awesome, thank you. I may try to get those for use in my x9dr3/i

btw, that exact part no is not on the SM approved list (1 letter off, the D vs C on list) - which prob. makes little to no difference. except that if you call in for support on a board SM will demand that your mem is *exactly* off the Tested list.

I really appreciate your info and detail on the RMA for rev 1.10 boards, i most likely will try this on one of my rev 1.10, mainly so that they test it and confirm/deny my suspensions that something is off with the board in reguards to memory (will update this thread) - i do realize there is a decent chance that they wont repair any issues (beyond upgrading it to 1.20 for v2 cpus), but atleaste i can have some finality on my testing methods)

svtkobra7

Jan 2, 2017
awesome, thank you. I may try to get those for use in my x9dr3/i
My pleasure.
btw, that exact part no is not on the SM approved list (1 letter off, the D vs C on list) - which prob. makes little to no difference. except that if you call in for support on a board SM will demand that your mem is *exactly* off the Tested list.
  • I applied OCR to the scanned .pdf and simply copied that output.
  • Your note prompted me to double check the # and it is "PH M393B1K70DH0-CH9 1214"
  • Not the D vs C you mentioned, but to correct exactly what I'm looking at, a "0" presented as a letter and not number, specifically "DHO" (incorrect) should read "DH0" (correct) ... seems like you figured this out though.
I really appreciate your info and detail on the RMA for rev 1.10 boards, i most likely will try this on one of my rev 1.10, mainly so that they test it and confirm/deny my suspensions that something is off with the board in reguards to memory (will update this thread) - i do realize there is a decent chance that they wont repair any issues (beyond upgrading it to 1.20 for v2 cpus), but atleaste i can have some finality on my testing methods)
Again it is more than my pleasure. What I can contribute to the forum/community is only a fraction of what most members can (lack of IT background), but what I can contribute, I'm more than happy to. :)

Good luck.

Cap_Jak

Aug 13, 2018
Didn't do enough research and bought this board plus some shiny E5-2640 v2's and found this forum the hard way. o_O

Just created an RMA and guess we'll see what happens.

nthu9280

Feb 3, 2016
San Antonio, TX

Cap_Jak

Aug 13, 2018
If it's just old BIOS, You can just grab a cheap $10 E5-v1 chip and update it. If there are other issues, RMA is a better option.
I went through the IPMI which is still working, and it shows the latest bios already :(

I contacted the seller last night as well, and he told me that the 1.10's were not compatible. but has not offered to return it just yet, so we'll see how the rma goes.

Cap_Jak

Aug 13, 2018
Bad news for me, Supermicro denied RMA due to the board being out of warranty. Ebay seller is accepting the return minus me paying the shipping back.

But I am working with someone on getting a newer rev board hopefully at the same price, so all is not lost.

svtkobra7

Jan 2, 2017
Bad news for me, Supermicro denied RMA due to the board being out of warranty. Ebay seller is accepting the return minus me paying the shipping back.
I'm sorry to hear SMCI denied your RMA request.

Since I posted the bit about my RMA experience, potentially prompting others to purchase rev 1.1 boards, planning to RMA them, I feel a bit obligated to put forth my supposition as a warning to others:
  • If you read the fine print of the SMCI warranty, for motherboards it states "Supermicro provides a three-year warranty for labor and one-year warranty for parts."
  • Add to that 3 year period the following verbiage, "Upon expiration of the aforementioned limited warranties, Supermicro may provide additional services up to 2 years from the date of expiration subject to additional charges" and you end up with a 5 year period which SMCI may provide out-of-warranty service, or RMA for the "ECO Rework" to enable E5-2600 v2 compatibility.
  • My conjecture is that 5 years ago all X9 boards being sold were already V2 compatible as Ivy Bridge was launched Q3'13 (per ark.intel.com), i.e. it wouldn't make much sense to for Ivy Bridge to have been released but SMCI was still selling boards only compatible with Sandy Bridge.
  • So this leads me to my conjecture: The window of opportunity to RMA for V2 "ECO Rework" has likely closed and we won't be seeing any more of this. :(

sovking

Jun 2, 2011
I'm getting confused here about warranty.
If I buy an X9 motherboard from an authorized reseller, not from a shop, e.g. x9srl-f-0, even if its EOL/discontinued, Supermicro should provide warranty, and eventually any RMA, from the date of my purchase till 3 years later. Is it still right even for X9 EOL new mobo ?

svtkobra7

Jan 2, 2017
I'm getting confused here about warranty.
If I buy an X9 motherboard from an authorized reseller, not from a shop, e.g. x9srl-f-0, even if its EOL/discontinued, Supermicro should provide warranty, and eventually any RMA, from the date of my purchase till 3 years later. Is it still right even for X9 EOL new mobo ?
You put forth an interesting question. They way you phrase it, and analyzing the warranty verbiage literally, I would think you would be covered. However, as a practical matter I strongly suspsect that would not be the case.

I think the warranty verbiage that applies here is: This limited warranty applies only to the original purchasers of Supermicro's products who are direct customers or distributors of Supermicro ("Customer").

So, let's assume that you do purchase a new, old stock X9 motherboard (you have to be the original purchaser for the warranty terms to apply, right?), it certainly would not be from SMCI, so it would have to be from a distributor. My supposition is that any "distributor" who is still carrying X9 new, old stock has to be a grey market operator, and their purchase of the board from an "authorized reseller" would "count" as the original purchase. If that holds, the warranty would be void due to such.

Manufacturers intend warranties to be time bound, right? Perhaps as a bad analogy, what if the product at hand was a 1964.5 Ford Mustang that was never titled. Is Ford going to still honor the original warranty?

Reverting to a strict, literal interpretation of the warranty verbiage, I would posit that SMCI was doing us all a favor by allowing RMAs for the v2 ECO rework, as I suspect 99% of the individuals requesting this out of warranty service were not the original purchasers. Of course, SMCI was doing us a bit of disservice by advertising v2 compatibility for the board, without caveat as to PCB revision, as well, but that is another discussion.

Separately, I think we could all agree that SMCI's product documentation to be lacking in certain areas, but I would expect that a publically traded company would have much better authored warranty terms then are stated on their website. Certainly, you do point out an area where the warranty should be better authored, to reduce SMCI's risk exposure. Regardless of whether it could be argued that coverage should apply, SMCI can apply warranty terms (in this case) as they like, leaving only one of two avenues of recourse to obtain your RMA:
  • File a civil suit in Magistrate Court of Santa Clara County. Not worth the expense, time, and effort; you may win but wouldn't you have been better off buying an X11 even at current DDR4 prices?
  • File a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. I have no idea how that would play out, but it isn't something I would want to bank on.
That being said, there is a definitive way to answer your question, and that would be by asking your authorized reseller or SMCI.

And I'm actually curious - what authorized reseller is still carrying X9 boards?

[the above are just my thoughts on the matter and I may be entirely incorrect]

Aestr

Oct 22, 2014
Seattle
And I'm actually curious - what authorized reseller is still carrying X9 boards?
I imagine most of them. The first one I checked (wiredzone) has plenty of X9 stock. In the very unlikely chance you ended up purchasing an old stock board today that won't accept V2's from an authorized reseller that SM refuses to update you could get an exchange with that reseller.

Reactions: svtkobra7

sovking

Jun 2, 2011
A lot!!

Looking at EU market, you will find most of the authorized resellers and distributors.
Personally I contacted an German online shop, and they can dropship the mobo from Netherland, probably directly from Supermicro branch. The board come with latest revision, latest bios and latest IPMI firmware.

My guess, is that purchase date is for formal warranty (from vendor then from producer, at least for EU), but the warranty is limited because Supermicro could not have all the necessary part for make a repair, because it is not produced anymore, or there is lack of some components.
So, when you RMA x9 boards, I could say... it not sure that it could be repaired. But some compensation have to be given, at least in EU.

If you look at the online shops, there is a plenty of X9 motherboards, probably because there is still a demand for them (caused by low ddr3 prices and e5 v1/v2 cpu), and Supermicro, distributors and resellers are happy to sell anything left on their shelfs.

Chewy

Dec 15, 2018
Do one of you know the nature of the rework ? I'm in that situation and Supermicro is not that cooperative for the moment ...