Supermicro Motherboard for Xeon E5 1620

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Anurag

Dec 12, 2016
Hi,

I'm looking for supermicro motherboard Socket R LGA 2011 for Xeon E5 1620 sandy bridge. I seen the board in website it was hard to compare for me due no comparison tools.

I was searching for Asrock x79 but the manufacturing has been stop so I couldn't find it.

My requirements are:

1- two PCI Express x16 slot
2- 20 or 24 pin power supply connector
3- Support Xeon E5 1620 sandy bridge
4- Support ECC registered RAM and non ECC RAM.

And others normal configuration.

I'm using HP Z420, and HP board sucks in every aspect. If you need anything you have buy from HP and it will cost hefty amount.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anurag

Dec 12, 2016
I just narrow down the list which one should I go for :

Supermicro Motherboard

X9SRA
X9SRG-F
X9SRL-F
X9SRL
X9SRW-F

pyro_

Oct 4, 2013
The only one with two actual PCIE 16x slots is the X9SRA, the other have two of those slots but the slots only run at 8X. If that is Ok then i am personally a fan of the X8SRL-F as it has IPMI built in which can be nice to have if you are using it as a server

Anurag

Dec 12, 2016
Ok. I seen the X9SRL-F it says 2x PCI-E 3.0 x 8 (in x16) slots. Its means these are not actual slots but x16 GPU will work.

It will any problem if I install GTX 1080. The performance will compromise ?

Last edited:

Anurag

Dec 12, 2016
Thanks guys, I'm going to use evga 980ti hopefully there will no problem. However I selected three models
Supermicro X9SRW-F, Supermicro X9SRA, Supermicro X9SRL-F. Once I get the price then I will decide. Once again thank you very much.

Anurag

Dec 12, 2016
Guys one more thing does this motherboard can fit in HP Z420 cabinet

Anurag

Dec 12, 2016
I come across the some reviews on Amazon were user mention Supermicro does not support digital PSU. When corsair ask Supermicro to update their BIOS for digital support so Supermicro said use their PSU. Now that user using Cosrsair TX650 and its working fine. Really its a shameful thing. And I have extract same And PSU of corsair.

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
I'm not sure what "digital PSU" is. What I saw skimming through the google results reminds of the smbus. Maybe this can help you.
System Management Bus - Wikipedia

Edit: Supermicro mainboards with ipmi support the smbus and you can monitor your psu with it.

Last edited:

Anurag

Dec 12, 2016
I'm not sure what "digital PSU" is. What I saw skimming through the google results reminds of the smbus. Maybe this can help you.
System Management Bus - Wikipedia

Edit: Supermicro mainboards with ipmi support the smbus and you can monitor your psu with it.
Yes saw the same user who reported on newegg too. Well you can find same problem in HP workstation I can confirm in HP Z420 model.

I recently purchased corsair ax 860i now it will be again problem for me to buy new PSU.

BK01

Oct 6, 2018
I come across the some reviews on Amazon were user mention Supermicro does not support digital PSU. When corsair ask Supermicro to update their BIOS for digital support so Supermicro said use their PSU. Now that user using Cosrsair TX650 and its working fine. Really its a shameful thing. And I have extract same And PSU of corsair.

It is true; I have a Supermicro X9SRA motherboard with Xeon E5 2690 and 32GB ECC ram. My corsair AX1200i does not work with it, it just wont start up. But my old corsair HX1000 works just fine; no problems at all. Thank god i did not through away my old PSU.