Supermicro Motherboard doesn't boot on the first time

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

fagiano

Feb 5, 2011
Singapore
Hi, I have a strange problem with one of my servers, all of them are Supermicro X9SRi.
Recently I've lost power on all my servers, as the power came back all of them powered up automatically but one didn't boot, just hang.
So I did some test and it seems that if I power off the server, let it rest, then power on it will hang before POST. However, if after the hang I just power on and off "quickly", it will boot properly. This seems to be consistent.
Any Idea on what can cause this? CMOS battey? bad mobo?

thank you for you time
Alberto

RobertFontaine

Dec 17, 2015
Winterpeg, Canuckistan
There is a function on the grey wire of a power supply that tell the motherboard whether the power is "good". It is a timing function. A quick flick can occasionally trick the board into saying good to go and going into a power ready(?) state even if the psu is marginal.

Try a different psu with your flake board. You have probably blown a cap in you psu.

fagiano

Feb 5, 2011
Singapore
Actually I open the box to change the CMOS battery, I remove the old battery, then I realized that I didn't have the right battery with me so I put the old one back. I reconfigured the BIOS and now is booting fine again. I'm not sure it is fixed for good. Finger Crossed.