SUPERMICRO MBD-X10SRL-F Server Motherboard -- Memory question

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

thecoffeeguy

Mar 10, 2016
Hey Folks.
Back with a updated question for my latest build.

i have the above motherboard that I am looking to expand on (finally). That said, I would like to get to 64gb minimum but plans to get to 128.

Before I go buy the memory i was looking, I wwanted to ask the good folks here about what i should look for or any recommended memory i should consider.

I found this in my brief quick search:

Kingston ValueRAM 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 2133 RAM (Server Memory) ECC DIMM (288-Pin) KVR21E15D8K2/32I (Intel Validated)-Newegg.com

Would that suffice? It will take me a bit to get to 128 (budget) so i want to make sure i can find the memory in a few months.

Appreciate the help

thecoffeeguy

Mar 10, 2016
I went with recommended (by SM) RAM after running in problems with RAM not on the "list".
Thanks. I did end up looking again at the Mobos site and looked under 'tested' memory.

I selected ' DDR4 1.2v-2400 Registered ECC then selected 16gb modules.
They had quite a few listed there and i just started searching for them.

I a lot of them at memory4less.com, but slightly confused. Prices vary from $135/tick to $190/stick.
Two brands I came across were Micron and Samsung.
One thing that confused me is that on their site, for each RAM stick they have a entry 'Rank' and these fall into Rank 1 or 2. What is the difference?

As i was comparing each DIMM stick, the only thing that is different per the specs on each page is:

-1. The model #
-2. The rank

EDIT: Ok, i read up on single vs dual memory. Should I go for one or the other? My setup is purely for my home lab, nothing production/critical related.

I know I wrote a lot above, but anyone have a min to educate me? (Feeling slightly noobish now)

Thanks

Single Ranks memory:

MTA18ASF2G72PZ-2G3A1 Micron 16GB DDR4 PC19200 Memory

Dual Rank memory

MTA18ASF2G72PDZ-2G3B1 Micron 16GB DDR4 PC19200 Memory

archangel.dmitry

Sep 11, 2015
US
In your case, ranks have to do with future upgrades and price tag. Single rank is more expensive but it is more flexible in terms of upgrades. It is recommended to run same rank memory.

thecoffeeguy

Mar 10, 2016
Thanks for the reply.

On a side note, it is wise to use the same memory (manufacturer and model for stability right? just making sure i am still correct in that matter..dont want to mix micron with samsung for example?)

This is the memory i currently have in my server (2 DIMMs, 32gb):

Kingston ValueRAM 16GB 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM ECC Registered DDR4 2133 (PC4 17000) Server Memory Model KVR21R15D4/16HA - Newegg.com

Now, the cool thing is my work just gave me the thumbs up to go to 128gb and they will cover the cost (i am stoked).
Knowing that, i want to get to 128gb ASAP.

I did find that exact memory here:

KVR21R15D4/16HA Kingston 16GB DDR4 PC17000 Memory

That looks to be the same ? May just need quick verification.
If that is, i am going to gobble up that memory today. Unless, folks here have a better recommendation?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Jeff Robertson

Oct 18, 2016
Chico, CA
Model numbers line up, if your work is paying just do it!!! And let me know how you swung that, maybe I can use your trick with my company...