Supermicro MB Product Naming Codes

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

fblittle

Apr 5, 2011
Gridley, CA (near Sacramento)
Has anybody figured out the product naming codes for the Supermicro Motherboards? :confused:

-The first two positions "X9" must be the chipset/CPU or something like that
-The third position "S" must mean type of board. In this case Server board.

The rest I have not figured out
SCA
SCM
SCL
SIL All Server Boards with the "S" in it.
The -F option appears to be for IPMI

I also noticed that Newegg had a -O option after the -F option on some of the Supermicro Motherboards, I did not know what that meant either. The motherboards with -O are not on the Supermicro web site.

I looked on the Supermicro site and could not find anything to explain their Product naming codes. So I thought I would ask here.

I would like to intellegently choose a motherboard for my home server. I look through the list of motherboard wondering what the real differences are between them. Any Help would be nice for all us who are wondering. ????

john4200

Jan 1, 2011
S is for single processor (not server). Also D and Q for dual- and quad-processor.

The first letter typically indicates whether it is server (X for Xeon) or consumer (C for Core). There is also P (pentium) and I (itanium).

As for the differences, just look on Supermicro's website. They have a detailed specification page for each of their motherboards. And there is a quick reference table:

http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/matrix/index.cfm

Last edited: