SuperMicro MB C612 with 16GB ECC UDIMM memory

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Ivan Dimitrov

Jul 10, 2016
Hello,

Currently I am running my home servers and desktop virtualized with ProxMox. I am not quiet happy with the desktop performance and I suspect the problem might be with the ACS and IOMMU groups. I am think of upgrade from E3 to E5 Xeon. Anyway.

My problem is that now I am stuck with 48GB (2x8 + 2x16) ECC UDIMM memory.
Browsing the manuals and compatibility lists I couldn't find Supermicro MB with 2011-v3 socket that will support this kind of memory. They have only one X99 MB which doesn't work with Xeon processors or their C612 MBs use only RDIMM memory.

The question is - has anybody ran a Supermicro MB with C612 or X99 chipset with ECC UDIMM sticks?
I know that this combination is not on the compatibility list of any of the Supermicro boards, but hey somebody might have been in the same situation like me :).
Anybody willing/capable to test such configuration?

Thank you in advance.

Last edited:

Ivan Dimitrov

Jul 10, 2016
The total silence in this thread suggest nobody was stupid enough to do this. I will take this as a sign not to experiment. Thanks for your silence :)

CreoleLakerFan

Oct 29, 2013
The total silence in this thread suggest nobody was stupid enough to do this. I will take this as a sign not to experiment. Thanks for your silence :)
I have an older SM board (8XSIL-F) which supports both registered and unbuffered modules. I have successfully run it with both types I had on hand, so it's not impossible to find something that will support both.

Are you dead set on a v3 board? V2 boards will be a better option of reusing that memory - but as fractal points out - UDIMMs are expensive, so it might be better in the long run for you to sell that memory and go DDR4/RDIMMs

Ivan Dimitrov

Jul 10, 2016
I have to buy a new car and this fact helped a lot in my decision how to upgrade my home rig (read out of cash J) . I decided it doesn’t make sense to go to E5. I just got E3 1245V5 and 48GB DDR4 ECC in total and it seems to be doing the job fine.

I am already stuck with the memory so I will have to change it next time with the platform. For now the baby Xeon E3 is OK for me J

Thanks for your replies.