SuperMicro & low-RPM fans

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Trying to restart the ipmi service gets me - "ipmi: unrecognized service". :(

I have Mint up and running on another computer but how is doing this remotely different?

rubylaser

Jan 4, 2013
Michigan, USA
Trying to restart the ipmi service gets me - "ipmi: unrecognized service". :(

I have Mint up and running on another computer but how is doing this remotely different?
Doing it remotely is obviously interacting with IPMI on the remote system vs. the local system. It does not require IPMI to be working locally or modules to be loaded either.

The previous commands I mentioned have worked great remotely on two separate X9SRL-F boards.

Last edited:

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
running Mint on the system in question I couldn't get to the desktop. I got an error and then a command prompt. This was ok because the command prompt worked. Now that I have Mint running on a remote system I'm at the desktop but the commands don't work in Terminal. I get "segmentation error". What am I doing wrong?

Thanks

rubylaser

Jan 4, 2013
Michigan, USA
running Mint on the system in question I couldn't get to the desktop. I got an error and then a command prompt. This was ok because the command prompt worked. Now that I have Mint running on a remote system I'm at the desktop but the commands don't work in Terminal. I get "segmentation error". What am I doing wrong?

Thanks
Do you have a working network and have you installed the impitools package?

pLu

Nov 25, 2015
Stockholm, Sweden
Why Lord, why? Why does this have to be so difficult? :(
It really isn't that difficult but you still don't have an IPMI device to talk to (/dev/ipmi0). So... reboot, if practical, to get a clean start and run:

reset; sudo modprobe -av ipmi_msghandler ipmi_si ipmi_devintf; lsmod | grep ipmi; dmesg | grep ipmi

Show us the output. And it's sudo ipmitool sensor when running it locally.

Also, Linux Mint is a bit of a mess. Stick to Debian or Ubuntu if you want a Debian flavour.

Last edited:

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Do you have a working network and have you installed the impitools package?
When I try to install ipmitools (sudo apt-get install ipmitools) I get the error I mentioned above. I was able to run these commands from the computer in question when it wouldn't load the desktop but now on a second computer where the desktop does load, the commands don't work. Sorry, I don't know why. :(

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
It really isn't that difficult but you still don't have an IPMI device to talk to (/dev/ipmi0). So... reboot, if practical, to get a clean start and run:

reset; sudo modprobe -av ipmi_msghandler ipmi_si ipmi_devintf; lsmod | grep ipmi; dmesg | grep ipmi

Show us the output. And it's sudo ipmitool sensor when running it locally.

Also, Linux Mint is a bit of a mess. Stick to Debian or Ubuntu if you want a Debian flavour.
Will do. Be right back.

Gonna switch to Ubuntu too.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
GHDFC... I'm on Ubuntu now and when I try to install ipmitool I'm getting "ipmitool is not available but is referred to by another package, blah blah blah. :(

Found these instruction on another site but try to run them I get "Operation not permitted" :(

modprobe ipmi_si
modprobe ipmi_devintf
echo ipmi_si >> /etc/modprobe
echo ipmi_devintf >> /etc/modprobe

apt-get install ipmitool

test

ipmitool -I open channel info

Last edited:

Stereodude

Feb 21, 2016
USA
Have you performed a blood sacrifice yet?

Are you facing East? Have you sprinkled Holy Water on the motherboard? Do you know a Priest, Pastor, or Rabbi?

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Have you performed a blood sacrifice yet?

Are you facing East? Have you sprinkled Holy Water on the motherboard? Do you know a Priest, Pastor, or Rabbi?
I'm not religious so beer, wine and whiskey will have to suffice.

rubylaser

Jan 4, 2013
Michigan, USA
GHDFC... I'm on Ubuntu now and when I try to install ipmitool I'm getting "ipmitool is not available but is referred to by another package, blah blah blah. :(

Found these instruction on another site but try to run them I get "Operation not permitted" :(

modprobe ipmi_si
modprobe ipmi_devintf
echo ipmi_si >> /etc/modprobe
echo ipmi_devintf >> /etc/modprobe

apt-get install ipmitool

test

ipmitool -I open channel info
That should definitely work?!?!

Code:
root@fileserver:~# apt-cache search ipmitool | grep ipmi
ipmitool - utility for IPMI control with kernel driver or LAN interface
This is on an Ubuntu 14.04.4 server.

Last edited:

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Thank you sir. I've quit for the day and am now chillin' with a beer. Will give it a try in the morning.

I did hook up a fan controller just to see if it would work and it does. I put 2 humongous Scythe fans in it and can control the speed from silent to wind noise, not too loud but can be heard. And no more oscillating between low and full blast. The reason for all this is because my CPU temps are on the high side, upper 50's at idle. I've got a pair of SM active coolers on the way. Seems these Dynatrons just can't cut it. Right now one is a 42 and the other is at 50. That's with the 2 Scythe's barely audible. Temps drop even more when I crank them up. I'd rather have the MB control the fan speed but I'll settle for what I have if need be. The dynatrons are very quiet, can barely hear them when the room is quiet, but they just don't cool very well. The 2 Scythe's are awesome fans, they push a tremendous amount of air and do so as quietly as it gets. Highly recommend them.