Supermicro LGA2011-3 1U Server (6018U-TR4+?) w/ Rails $325 shipped

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

semidetached

Sep 18, 2018
Looks like a SGI branded SM server, which explains the odd model number they used in the description.

Based on the pics it appears to be a 6018U-TR4+ which can do v4 E5-2600 CPUs and has 3 PCIe slots...

eduncan911

The New James Dean
Jul 27, 2015
eduncan911.com
Nice server. The free shipping just about makes it worth the price.

Has anyone done an OBO? I'd go in for $225 and wouldn't go any higher than... $275 maybe if it was me (figure about $50-$75 for shipping these days).

Supermicro 2U systems that hold multiple GPUs go for about $300-$350, sometimes. Have to set a price alert for them.

Dual Supermicro X10 motherboards (v3/v4) with LSI SAS3 8-port controllers, are available now for $250. Though, I don't expect their stock to last long as X10 dual CPU mobos are getting harder to find at a low price (inflation sucks for us buyers in eBay, in addition to chip shortages).

Other dual X9 (V1/V2) systems you can get for $100, free shipping.

The only other bit of info to share is that E5-2600 V3/V4 CPUs have taken a pretty big price drop in recent months, greatly helping populate these beasts with 16 high speed 3.4G base clock cores, and all Turbo to 3.7Ghz, and single core turbo to 4Ghz! for about $140 for both 8C chips. The premium chips still command $150-$200 each though. Still better than the $400 prices they were commanding at the beginning of 2022.

E5-1600 and E5-2600 V1/V2 chips have had the bottom drop out with them. Full blown 12C highest end CPUs, E5-2697s, $60.

---

Then again, my $200 AMD Epyc 7551 (there's one for sale right now in the FS forum) @ 2Ghz benched 27% faster, per core, than my E5-2670 V2 and 18% faster, per core, than my E5-2650 V4 (which is clocked higher).

And I have 32C, and 64T, that I don't have to disable HT for (to bypass Spectra/Meltdown in Intel). This is what is killing the performance of the V1-V4 series (and other Intel's): Linux and Microsoft "mitigations" around Meltdown/Spectra is to test if the CPU is vuln on boot, and patch the kernel if the microcode has not been patches. This hurts Intel - a LOT. Disabling HT is how you get the performance back, but at the cost of no HT.

Also, with the Epyc first gens you get M.2 PCIe slots, 4x4x4x4 mix of bootable ports, and even PCIe 4.0 if you are lucky to find a Gen 2/3 board that runs Gen 1 (AsRock Rack to the rescue!! Yes, there are a few AsRock Rack Gen2/Gen3 boards that can be bios flashed to run Gen 1 @ PCIe 3.0). Not to me too, OCULink, aka U.2 connections.

So if it comes down to cost-vs-performance, the Epyc 7001 first gen are really coming down in prices.

It's just the motherboards that still command your first-born son, left testicle, right kidney, and both legs in prices. Narrow down the board you want, set a max-price eBay price alert for about what you want to reasonably pay for, and wait... It took me 7 months until I got a board, for $250.

Last edited:

Cruzader

Jan 1, 2021
This would need to cost half this to seem cheap for me.

The 2u ddr4/v4 stuff pop up on the regular in batches for around 200, frequently including sas3 hba and dual sfp+ cards at that price.
That its 4LFF is also a large minus in my eyes as most use sff and can only fit 4 using adapters.

With the 4in1 2U type boxes that are about simular in drive capacity you can get as low as 100 per CTO host.

eduncan911

The New James Dean
Jul 27, 2015
eduncan911.com
This would need to cost half this to seem cheap for me.

The 2u ddr4/v4 stuff pop up on the regular in batches for around 200, frequently including sas3 hba and dual sfp+ cards at that price.
That its 4LFF is also a large minus in my eyes as most use sff and can only fit 4 using adapters.
That was my initial thought as well. However, I almost guarantee that none of those lists are free shipping (and some wanting to charge over $100 for shipping!!).

That there is $60-$75 of the cost.

Then, you have 3x PCIe (2 slots and 1 via SM's connector/riser card thingy). This is a other premium feature.

I agree, 4x LFF is quite dated with today's SFF and NVMe drives. However, this is a bonus for me as I'll use it for Security Onion, which requires lots of cores, and lots and lots of storage. And with 3x PCIe, I can throw an Optane in it for the ZLOG ZIL of 4x 18TB drives.

I run 40 Gbps fiber at home and on my switches. That's a lot of packets to monitor and log, with SO.

Finally, I need 4x 40G inputs for Active-Active monitoring of the network. (E.g. cut off the internet is a threat actor is detected).

That's all 3x PCIe slots used, and all LFF slots filled. Well, that is if I can find an affordable dual-40G SXB2 Supermicro card.

So yeah this particular machine does have a purpose.

Crap, I think I just talked myself into buying one. But I won't pay more than $275 tops, so I'll try OBO. The quad core I have now with only 2x 40G isn't cutting it, and it can only run in passive mode.

With the 4in1 2U type boxes that are about simular in drive capacity you can get as low as 100 per CTO host.
I'm not following, 4in1?

Oh, do you mean 4 nodes in a single 2U chassis? Ah yes, there are a collection of those noisy machines for sale too!

But, shipping fees for such a heavy beast...

You can't forget about shipping costs!

Last edited:
Reactions: Samir and Fritz

Cruzader

Jan 1, 2021
I'm not following, 4in1?

Oh, do you mean 4 nodes in a single 2U chassis? Ah yes, there are a collection of those noisy machines for sale too!

But, shipping fees for such a heavy beast...

You can't forget about shipping costs!
by 4in1 i mean the dense node stuff with 0,5u per yeah.

Like this HPE Apollo at 346$ US shipping included, that is 4nodes of ddr4/v4.
They are starting to come out of use in massive numbers and have fairly low demand, so you get them almost thrown after you.
Ive seen some small batches go at 800$ per with 1-2port 100gbe on each host since they expect a very hard time selling them.

For the huawei ddr4/v4 im running now i paid 140€ per including sas3/dual sfp+ and 25sff front.
i probably spend too much time on ebay, but 300+ for a 1U LFF seems a bit meh to me.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Nice deal but I have a problem finding a use for 1U servers. I currently have 3 just taking up space. One is a oldie with a X7DWU mb, dual E5472's, 32GB of ram, ad in IPMI card and still contains the original 300MB 10k SAS Seagate drives that were installed when I bought it. It still works flawlessly. It's not really worth anything but I can't bring myself to trash it. Maybe some day it will be worth something as an antique. :p

Cruzader

Jan 1, 2021
Thanks a nice deal, do you mind sharing where you found that?
Find a broker that has them and start haggling :)

There is a listing for the model without cpu/ram at 499€, if you need 3-4 id try a 300-350 offer.
It does not have to be many units to get 25-30% off ebay list price.

At 20pcs like he bought id expect to pay half of ebay list or less in that price range.

Reactions: Yarik Dot

discoeels

May 8, 2013
Something like this would be perfect for me if I had somewhere to put it. I'm not attempting to have a 2P 1U server in a small townhouse.

semidetached

Sep 18, 2018
Someone got 5 for a best offer. What that someone here? Do you mind sharing the price you negotiated?