SUPERMICRO JBOD: SAS connections for use with 2 servers and 4 HBA 2 ports.

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

rchristophe

Aug 29, 2016
Hello.
We have just acquired two supermicro cse-216BE2C-R609JBOD jbods. I'm looking to use them with 2 servers each having 2 SAS9300-8e cards.
The documentation does not give any information for this case, only for the use of a server with 2 SAS cards.
How should these materials be connected for this type of use?
I tried to apply connections for other brands but I would like to have opinions.

I would like not to connect the two jbods in cascade but to connect the two servers directly.
Cordially

rchristophe

Aug 29, 2016
I just realized that this is not necessarily the right place for this type of question.
So I created a new topic in RAID Controllers and Host Bus Adapters (I couldn't find how to move it).
If a moderator could delete this one. Thanks

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
I would daisy chain all primary expanders together (expander 1 @ jbod 1 <-> expander 1 @jbod2) and then the secondary expanders. not sure if dual link is supported between expanders, sas is a switched protocoll so it should work.
Then connect port 1 of controller 1 to primary expander @ jbod 1, port 2 of controller 1 to secondary expander @ jbod 1, port 1 of controller 2 to primary expander @ jbod 2, port 2 of controller 2 to secondary expander @jbod 2. Then repeat this for the second server.

Reactions: MiniKnight