(Supermicro) IPMIView over the Internet

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

hatbrox

Jul 28, 2011
hi experts,

how can I setup my environment to access my server over the internet.
Up to know I tried the following:

X9SCM-F BIOS config:
setup IPMI to static IP Address

routeur config:
port mapping: add the IPMI IP Address to a given port, say 5900.

IPMIView config (on my laptop):
setup a connection to this IP address:
xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:5900 (where the xxx is my routeur IP address assigned by my ISP)
but IPMIView complains about this format

Is there another approach?

I tried to just connect to my router IP address, but that didn't work neither. The routeur can' guess which internal IP address to pass the request to.

Mat.

Mike

May 29, 2012
EU
NAT the port to a static ip in your router and set that ip on the board. Don't forget to set the gateway.

hatbrox

Jul 28, 2011
NAT the port to a static ip in your router and set that ip on the board. Don't forget to set the gateway.
OK, I see. I'll try that next week end.
Just from an education point of view, if you want to remote-control 2 separate machines, how would the router know which internal IP address to use?

Thanks a lot.

sotech

Jul 13, 2011
Australia
OK, I see. I'll try that next week end.
Just from an education point of view, if you want to remote-control 2 separate machines, how would the router know which internal IP address to use?

Thanks a lot.
Use two different external ports forwarded to separate internal IP addresses.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
One thing I do is to have a VPN gateway to a management network. Basically you put all of your IPMI 2.0 NICs on one network, then have an appliance provide VPN access to that network.

hatbrox

Jul 28, 2011
Use two different external ports forwarded to separate internal IP addresses.
Hi,
thanks for the answer.

I'm afraid you lost me.

In IPMIView. I can't suffix a port number. the software only accept a plain IP address.

So in IPMIView I enter my ISP IP address, which is my router external IP address.

I still fail to understand how the router would then re-route IPMI connection request to the correct server.

hatbrox

Jul 28, 2011
One thing I do is to have a VPN gateway to a management network. Basically you put all of your IPMI 2.0 NICs on one network, then have an appliance provide VPN access to that network.
sounds like a neat solution. but that sounds way beyond my technical knowledge.

sotech

Jul 13, 2011
Australia
Hi,
thanks for the answer.

I'm afraid you lost me.

In IPMIView. I can't suffix a port number. the software only accept a plain IP address.

So in IPMIView I enter my ISP IP address, which is my router external IP address.

I still fail to understand how the router would then re-route IPMI connection request to the correct server.
In that case my suggestion would not work. If your board features it, can you use web-browser-based IPMI instead? That way you could easily use different external ports. I would be very aware of the security risks, though....