Supermicro IPMIView not working properly in Win 10?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

darkconz

Jun 6, 2013
I have a rather strange problem going on here. This only happened to me when I upgraded my PC from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10.

I made sure I have the latest Java version as well we the IPMIView as of today but still experiencing this problem:

When I open up KVM Console, sometimes it shows me the screen, sometimes it is stuck with a white corner and a black screen. I can see the FPS changing even though I cannot see anything. Also, when I click Virtual Media>Virtual Storage, a blank white popup came up. This makes mounting ISOs VERY difficult (actually it is impossible).

For a past little while, I've been using my Win 8.1 VM to do all this work but I am curious to if anyone else is having this problem and if so, has anyone found a solution.. It is just cumbersome to log into VM to do this work when it used to work on my workstation...

Thanks.

cesmith9999

Mar 26, 2013
mine works fine. and I upgraded from 8.1

I had to make sure that I ran in administrator if I needed to save any work.

you may need to uninstall and re-install.

Chris

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
This is really strange. It has worked for me both on the 8.1 to 10 upgrade and the 10 straight install. The only challenge I have is on the Yoga the resolution makes IPMIview hard to read.

weust

Aug 15, 2014
@Patrick Win32 graphical console programs really suck on QHD+ screens.
Got the same thing on my Dell XPS 13.
Hyper-V Management console is alright, viewing a console of aVM is near impossible,

And Java. That really should be burned to the ground.
Not the island, the programming language.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Can't speak for Win 8.1 and 10 but in Win 7, ipmiview is a program that can be uninstalled like any other program.

darkconz

Jun 6, 2013
I've tried clearing the temp files and resetting the security but no luck...

I'll give it a go with lower version of Java.. But IPMIView was working with java 8 few months ago before I did Win 10 upgrade.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Did anyone resolve this? I thought there was a more recent thread but only found this one... having this issue on a win10 box too and could have sworn we had a 'fix' in another thread :/

I'm updating JAVA now, but any other suggestions?

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
Updating JAVA and running as admin and off and away we go :) Proxmox almost installed via virtual ISO so it's working :)

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
I continue to have this issue. Even updating Java and re-installing does nothing. I've always been running as admin. On a fresh install of Win10 it worked for about 2 weeks and then it reverted to the same error I've been getting:

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
It simply didn't load at all for me... no error like that.

K D

Dec 24, 2016
I continue to have this issue. Even updating Java and re-installing does nothing. I've always been running as admin. On a fresh install of Win10 it worked for about 2 weeks and then it reverted to the same error I've been getting:

I get this error with 3 X10SDV and 1 X11 board. I have another older x10 board that works fine. No issues in using the Web UI to launch the Java console.

Bradford

May 27, 2016
Getting this old Java-based IPMI working has been the biggest pain in the ass - I'm trying to mount an ISO and install Proxmox, so I'm trying to use iKVM (IPMIView Windows install package), but if I can manage to get a working iKVM session going, the remote media dialog box is blank. Couple this with the fact that I can't get my USB keyboard to power on during POST, I can't boot from a USB to run the install.

Update: Using IPMIView in a Linux Mint VM works well enough.

You can fix that by running it as Admin and, if that doesn't work, doing a factory reset on the BMC with ipmicfg from the host:

Code:
./IPMICFG-Linux.x86_64 -fd

Last edited:

William

May 7, 2015
Just saw this thread... sorry if this is already known.

IPMI will not work if you use Edge on Win 10.
It works fine for me if I use IE or Chrome.

darkconz

Jun 6, 2013
I am curious any of you with problem similar to mine @T_Minus that it didn’t load and are running dual monitor?

What I found out was when the iKVM popped up on my primary monitor, I just need to drag it to my secondary monitor, minimize it and restore it. Then everything works as intended. Weird workaround but it worked for me every time.

Since we are on Win 10, maybe moving that opened window to another desktop might work too? Never tried as my secondary monitor always worked for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: jirijanata

jirijanata

Mar 9, 2016
I can confirm, that workaround with drag to secondary monitor works very well.

Moving windows to another desktop has no effect either..

K D

Dec 24, 2016
Usually other applications "remember" which monitor they were last opened but IPMIView seems to randomly open in either of my 2 monitors.

If I open the dialog to mount a CDROM it also doesn't always open in the same window as the main IPMIView window.

On the other hand both HP iLo and Dell iDRAC windows always work flawlessly.