Supermicro IPMI spamming LDAP ports

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

rpross3

Feb 16, 2016
Noticed an internal firewall was blocking access to LDAP/AD ports on one VLAN where the Supermicro IPMI (v. 3.03) dedicated LAN ports were on another VLAN. The DHCP server on the IPMI VLAN is giving out XXX.local as a DNS suffix, and this is the only idea I have as to the cause, but why LDAP? Are they compromised? Something new? They all pass the cleartext PW exploit test. Thanks.

MiniKnight

Mar 30, 2012
NYC
What kind of firewall is it? I had something like this happen but it was an ID-10T error on the admin's part.

I'd start with FW rules. There's hundreds of thousands/ millions of these IPMI's out there so if they had a major new vulnerability you'd see it by now.

rpross3

Feb 16, 2016
I'll double check for operator error. The firewall is pfSense with VLANs. The rules are blocking access. I hear you on the vulnerability, but someone has to be first... I'll see about removing the DNS suffix from the DHCP options; which still wouldn't explain why the IPMI is trying to access port 389.

fractal

Jun 7, 2016
I made the mistake of connecting a network port with shared IPMI to the public internet once. It was on a supermicro motherboard. I got an email from my ISP a few weeks later when the scripters found it and used it for DDOS..

They used a DHCP amplification exploit on me. I believe there are others.

It doesn't sound like this is what is happening to the OP but do be careful with machines with shared IPMI.