Supermicro IPMI new feature - Power/Temperature Record

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Hi guys,

just a heads up for interested parties - the new IPMI firmware 3.65 (for x10 boards)
upload_2017-12-23_13-55-24.png

now contains a nifty historical record for Power consumption and temperatures.
Not fully working yet (no temps) but nevertheless a good start.

upload_2017-12-23_13-54-21.png

Found it on SM FTP - please note that this version seems to reset IPMI IP & user back to defaults (dhcp & ADMIN/ADMIN)

Have fun:)

Terry Kennedy

Jun 25, 2015
New York City
www.glaver.org
just a heads up for interested parties - the new IPMI firmware 3.65 (for x10 boards)
View attachment 7355

now contains a nifty historical record for Power consumption and temperatures.
Not fully working yet (no temps) but nevertheless a good start.
Nice. Dell has had that sort of stuff since the iDRAC 6, at least. Good to see that Supermicro is adding it.

However, you can already collect that data (and more) yourself and present it however you like. The following are from an X8DTH-iF using ipmitool (not the Java Supermicro version with the same name):

Reactions: anoother

james23

Nov 18, 2014
fyi, you can also pull/graph some basic IPMI data with PRTG (NOT power watts yet though). ie you can graphs all fans, all temps (ie i see about 14x temp readings in prtg from a SM x9 board) and all voltages.

prtg is free for up to 100 sensors, ive put in a feature request for their ipmi sensor to grab power data, but nothing as of yet. (you prob could script something via the prtg custom sensors to do this, but you will also prob need a linux os "middle man" to make use of ipmitool). I have eaton ePDU 's so that is how i graph power draw at the outlet (in prtg/snmp).

(btw, you can find eaton ePDUs often for pretty cheap on ebay, ie 100 - 300$ depending on outlet count. just watch you dont get one of the 220-240v ONLY models)

big caveat w prtg/ipmi: there is a bug, where if you dont use the default admin/admin , you need to input your ipmi login/pass like this (into the prtg sensor): (boy did this take me a while to figure out!)
(below is copy paste from my own notes fyi):

if you DON'T have the default ADMIN / ADMIN ipmi creds set on your supermicro sm IPMI , prtg ipmi sensor will keep telling you LOGIN FAILED.

Fix is you have to ADD THIS AFTER you username (that you input in to prtg):

So you put into PRTG exactly : ADMIN -F lan2 (then your normal IPMI passowrd)

From: DRAC6 IPMI not working with firmware 1.98 | Paessler Knowledge Base