SuperMicro IPMI alerts - do they alert on ECC error?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Yorick

Apr 9, 2020
Hello STH folx!

I've read the IPMI guide and searched the Interwebs, and I am not finding the answer to this question: When I configure alerts in IPMI, email, but let's also consider SNMP Trap, will the IPMI alert me when a DIMM has recoverable or unrecoverable errors?

I am assuming the answer is a resounding "yes of course!" I am seeking to confirm that from someone who has seen it, or who has found the documentation that says so.

Related: If you have a defective DDR4 ECC unbuffered, any size, I'll pay a finder's fee and shipping so I can test this in my own board, an X11SSH-F.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
I can't speak for SuperMicro but my ASRock Rack board does and that's how I knew to replace one of my defective modules. I imagine SuperMicro ipmi system alerts would do the same.

This is what mine looked like.

Have you looked at the IPMI event logs?

Yorick

Apr 9, 2020
Do you still have the defective module? Would you be willing to part with it? And thanks!

Yorick

Apr 9, 2020
Yeah I've looked at event logs. My memory is healthy, hence no entries. This is to help a discussion about ECC memory alerting in FreeNAS, more a research project than anything else.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
Yeah I've looked at event logs. My memory is healthy, hence no entries. This is to help a discussion about ECC memory alerting in FreeNAS, more a research project than anything else.
Ahhh, understood.